Update Droid Razr M with Alpha CM10 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM
If you are still waiting for an Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update suitable with your Motorola Droid Razr M I have good news for you as the CM10 custom ROM firmware is now available for your smartphone. Well, the alpha version of the software to be more precise, the stable one being still in the development stage. But, if you are not that picky (actually there are only minor bugs present in this unofficial version of the CM10 software) then, this firmware should be perfect for your Droid Razr M. So, for more details about this update and for the proper tutorial check the following lines.
As we have used you, when we are explaining how to flash a custom firmware on an Android powered device, the first things to check are the pre requisites. Also, you should ensure that the ROM is what you need, or else you will end up in regretting your decision. So, first of all it should be clear for you that this CM10 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS is not coming from Motorola therefore it isn’t an official update available for your Droid Razr M.
Then, the same isn’t the official version released by the CM team. In fact, this is the alpha variant of the CM10 platform, which was developed and tested on the Razr M by those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this tutorial. According to them and to the users who had already tried this update, the software is having some minor bugs and issues (there are problems with the Wifi direct and NFC). Anyway, you shouldn’t worry because the bugs will be fixed as soon as a new version of the update will be provided. If you want to learn more about the CM10 firmware then I recommend you to go here and check our source page. After that, return here and resume this step by step guide by completing the pre requisites.
- Each time you decide to perform a complex and unofficial operation on your phone, it is more than recommended to begin with a backup. In our case it is necessary to save the Motorola Droid Razr M data, because the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update can be installed only if you previously wipe the system.
- Use our backup and restore guides for learning how to save the contacts, messages, call logs, internet settings, market apps and even the current ROM.
- Then, you must root the smartphone. CM10 can be flashed only on a rooted device, so complete this operation before going any further.
- The warranty will get void because you will root the OS. Anyway, you can restore the lost warranty and reset the flash counter by downgrading to the stock ROM (that’s why it is important to backup the stock OS first) or by flashing an official update released by Motorola and suitable with your Droid Razr M.
- After rooting you must install the CWM recovery image on your handset.
- Next, make sure that all the security tools that are running on your computer (you need to use a Windows running computer) and on your smartphone are uninstalled or deactivated.
- Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option.
- Check the battery status and if there is less than 70% power left go and charge the battery.
- You should install the CM10 ROM only on the Motorola Droid Razr M, as the update will not work for other devices.
Finally, those were the pre requisites. You can now safely head to the next and also last section of this tutorial. Read all carefully and don’t apply things without consulting the steps from below. If anything bad happens, don’t hesitate and use the comments area from below for sharing the issues with us.
How to Update Droid Razr M with Alpha CM10 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM Firmware
- Use the link from here and download the update file on your computer.
- Then, use this link and get the Google apps package. Also save the file on the computer.
- Connect the Razr M with the PC and copy the downloaded files from the computer to the phone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your handset.
- Reboot it in recovery mode.
- Then select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” (all of your data will now be erased, so don’t forget the backup mentioned above).
- Select “+++go back+++” and return to the recovery mode main menu.
- From there now select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Take the update file first and install it.
- When the process is done repeat the operation and flash the Google apps package on your phone.
- When everything is done, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If the fist boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic as it is normal.
That was all for now. As this is the alpha version of the CM10 software, you should stay close and check for further updates. Until then, test the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM on your Motorola Droid Razr M and if there are bugs or issues share the same with us and with other users too.