If you didn’t like the CM 10 or the AOKP custom ROMs firmware for your HTC EVO 4G, now you can test another Jelly Bean based update for your smartphone, as the SlimBean OS has just been made available by those of xda-developers (we have them to thanks for this tutorial). So, if I have aroused your interest then check the following lines as you can find there anything you need to know about this new update. Then, you can learn how to flash it on your EVO 4G by completing the steps from below, all being explained and detailed so everybody can understand what to do.
As mentioned, SlimBean was developed by third party devs so it has nothing to do with HTC; this isn’t an official upgrade released for your phone meaning that you can’t OTA (Over the Air) receive the same. You will have to follow a manual method which will take you through the installation procedure. But before you do that I recommend you to read the next lines as this will be the perfect way in which you can decide whether to perform the operation or not. As usual, when we talk about a custom ROM there are negative and positive aspects; I have mentioned the same below along with other relevant info which must be noticed before beginning the proper guide.
First, the SlimBean ROM is still in its beta stage of development therefore not all of its features will work for your HTC EVO 4G. From what we know there are issues with the camera, there is no 4G, no FFC and no Netflix. Don’t worry though, as these bugs will be resolved as soon as a new version of the update will be launched. The software is well known by users due to its small size and for the lack of unnecessary apps and bloatware, which are making the OS faster than the other ones, like CM 10 or AOKP. Furthermore, with SlimBean on board your EVO will gain more speed, will offer an improved web browsing experience and you will enjoy an upgraded battery life. Also, the system will be customized and optimized and you will be able to obtain more performances from your Android powered smartphone.
If you want to flash the update on your phone you must know that you must have a rooted device. Gaining root access implies in removing the factory restrictions out from your handset. Therefore, by unchaining the system you will void the warranty. If somehow you manage to do something wrong, then you will be by yourselves. Of course you can regain the warranty but only if you downgrade to the stock ROM or if you update to an official version of the Android platform released by HTC and suitable for your EVO 4G. So, go and root your phone first and only after that return here and resume the rest of the steps. A custom recovery image should also be installed on your phone so take care of this too.
As we are about to install a new OS on your EVO a full wipe of the system will be required first. Unfortunately when you will make the wipe the data which is saved on your phone will be deleted. The info which is stored on the SD card will not be affected though. So, the only way in which you can prevent this from happening is by performing a backup procedure. You will be able to save the contacts, the messages, the call logs, the current ROM, market apps and more. For the backup you can use a computer (where you can store several files from your device) or an SD card along with some backup and restore apps which can be downloaded for free from Google Play. If you don’t know how to do the up mentioned operations you can search through our how to section for suitable how to guides.
Next, you should take care of some preparation things. By completing such operations you can ensure that nothing bad can happen with your phone during the installation process. So, don’t skip this section and read the next list. You can then turn your attention towards the step by step guide from where you can learn how to flash the update.
- Make sure you have access to a Windows running computer, to your EVO 4G and to its USB cord.
- On the EVO and on the PC uninstall the antivirus protection.
- Also, on your phone enable the USB debugging option.
- If your handset has less than 60% power left, charge the battery first.
And with that you are ready for the proper tutorial. Just make sure that you are applying the steps only for the HTC EVO 4G and not for similar smartphones, because you can easily brick them. Let’s get started now.
How to Update EVO 4G to Android 4.1 SlimBean Custom ROM Firmware
- First download the next files on your computer.
- The update file can be downloaded from here.
- Download the Common_2.*.zip file from here (* is the latest version).
- Next, take the device and by using its USB cord connect it to the computer.
- Now, select the two files and copy them to the phone SD card.
- Then, disconnect the handset from the computer and turn it off.
- Enter in recovery mode.
- You can do this by pressing on the Volume Down while powering on your device.
- Once in the recovery mode, select the “wipe data factory reset” option followed by the “wipe cache partition one”.
- Now the data from your handset will be erased.
- Then, return to recovery by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Now, choose “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file first, install it and then do the same for the second file.
- Then wait for the installation process to end and don’t press anything else (it can take up to 10-15 minutes).
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” again and then “reboot system now” and that’s it.
Well, congratulation as your HTC EVO 4G is now running the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean SlimBean Custom ROM Firmware. As mentioned before the ROM is not ready yet so there might be several bugs or things that aren’t working properly. Therefore test the OS first and see how it performs and then return here and share your impressions with us. Stay close as we will bring a root guide suitable for the new OS soon. Also do tell us if there were problems with the above guide and we will try to help you out.