Update Galaxy 3 i5801 Apollo to CyanogenMod 7.2
There are many updates available lately, but most of them are only suitable for the high end smartphones which are relatively new on the market, so we were wondering what a common user should do in this situation. That’s why, in this new tutorial we will be checking in how to update the Samsung Galaxy 3 i5801 / Apollo by flashing the CyanogenMod 7.2 custom ROM into its system. By completing this procedure you will be able to improve the performances and appearance of your phone by adding features and capabilities that aren’t included in the default version of the Android platform.
The Galaxy Apollo is on the market since 2010 and it’s a real low range with nothing to impress handset. Its specs are including a 3.2 inch TFT capacitive touchscreen, 512MB ROM, 256MB RAM, a 667 MHz processor and the Froyo OS. When it was first released Eclair was pre-installed but since then, some updates were made available. If you own such a device and don’t want to change it with a more expensive one, we have the perfect solution for you: the CyanogenMod 7.2 ROM. With this update you will be able to improve the performances and enjoy the benefits of a changed phone.
CyanogenMod is the most popular Android based custom ROM among users worldwide due to the numerous features included in the system. The software is coming with capabilities outside the basic Android area in order to optimize and customize the system; the phone will gain more speed, you will have more access to its system, the battery life will be improved, the RAM memory optimized and the looks changed. Don’t expect to see the classic Android interface as the CM team will bring a new one along with other themes and backgrounds.
CyanogenMod 7.2 is being based on the Gingerbread platform meaning that your Galaxy 3 Apollo will be updated with the same. For making a more proper idea about the operation you are about to make and about its benefits here are the CM 7.2 main features. Take a look and see if you are satisfied enough in order to apply the update on your i5801.
Now, the firmware was tested on a Galaxy 3 by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this opportunity. From what we know, there are some things that aren’t working properly, such as the Bluetooth (A2DP), the USB tethering and the Video camera recording, but these bugs will be resolved during the following versions of the update. So, those were the reasons for applying this firmware on your handset. Now, let’s see which the negative aspects are.
First, you need to have a rooted smartphone for being able to perform this operation. That means that the warranty will be void. So, if you are not used with this type of operations or if you think that you can somehow brick your device, it will be a good idea to stop here. Bad things can happen only if you are doing things by yourselves without following a step by step guide like the present one. Then, as this is not coming from Samsung, you should backup the data first. A full wipe of the system will be required, so don’t risk in loosing personal info. Just search through our backup tutorials and choose the ones that suit your demands.
Finally there are the pre requisites; this section is the most relevant one as here are the operations that must be completed for ensuring that the update will be installed properly on your Galaxy 3. After taking care of the list from below you can go and start the actual step by step guide. So, be careful in what you do and try not to mess things up: just do as explained in the steps.
- As your phone is relatively old you must be sure that it will not get turned off in the middle of the process. For this if there is less than 70% power left, charge the battery.
- If on your computer or on your phone there are security tools installed you should deactivate them; in most of the cases these programs are interrupting the update procedure.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your smartphone for being able to connect the same with the PC.
- Remember to backup the data.
- Root the Galaxy 3 system.
How to Update Galaxy 3 i5801 (Apollo) with CyanogenMod 7.2 custom ROM
- Download the CM 7.2 file from here and the Google apps from here.
- Save both files on your computer.
- Connect the handset with the computer: use the USB cable to succeed.
- Copy the files download in step 1 from the PC to your phone.
- Disconnect the device and turn it off.
- Reboot and enter in recovery mode.
- You can enter in recovery by holding down the Volume Up Key and Volume Down button while powering the Apollo on.
- From the recovery menu select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the recovery menu.
- From there select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card” and pick the two files downloaded before on the same order (first the update and then the Google apps).
- Wait until the process ends.
- In the end you should be back on the recovery mode menu.
- Select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was it, the Galaxy 3 i5801 (Apollo) CyanogenMod 7.2 custom ROM step by step guide in which you could learn how to update your phone with the Gingerbread OS through the CM 7 ROM. If there were issues or if you had problems in understanding my directions, share your thoughts with us and we will try to resolve your problems. Also, stay close for further tutorials and Android related tips.