Update Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXMB2 OS
If the Samsung Galaxy Ace users can’t enjoy the official Jelly Bean experience (only Jelly Bean based custom ROMs are being available for the Ace) due to hardware limitation, those who own the Galaxy Ace 2 handsets can now updated their devices with the latest and official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS, as the firmware dubbed as XXMB2, had just been made available by Samsung. This is the official software and not a custom ROM, so the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXMB2 OS can be OTA or by using KIES applied on the Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 smartphones.
The OS improvement has been released for limited markets though, so there might be users interested in installing the same manually. Therefore, for helping you out, I will try to explain how to easily flash the official and stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXMB2 OS on your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 model number I8160 by using Odin. This is a manual procedure, so you cannot use the OTA or KIES variant for updating your phone. Actually, by using Odin, you will flash the update file into the phone’s internal system, the result being the same as when the OTA version of the firmware is being installed automatically.
The present tutorial will be similar with the ones that are developed for installing custom ROMs, Odin replacing the recovery image that is usually used for the beta firmware. Furthermore, this guide is actually easier, as you don’t have to previously root or unlock the bootloader of your Galaxy Ace 2 before heading to the update procedure. We are dealing with the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXMB2 platform so the root access is not required. Also, if your phone is already rooted, after completing the steps from below, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked.
The aspect mentioned above can mean only one thing: by updating your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 with an official software, the warranty will not be void. Also, if your smartphone is being powered by a custom ROM, now you will be able to restore its lost warranty and reset the flash counter. As you can see this tutorial might be useful for the future too, because if you will need to downgrade your Ace 2 to stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS, then all you will have to do is to follow the present procedure.
But, even though we will be checking in how to apply an official firmware and not a custom ROM, you still have to prepare some things before heading to the actual update operation. You will have to download some files (the update and Odin) so a Windows running computer with internet connection enabled must be near you. For avoiding the unpleasant situations it will be a good idea to deactivate the security programs (like antivirus or Firewall) from both PC and Ace 2 and to charge the battery of your device (else it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure). Also, enable the USB debugging option from your phone by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
I also recommend you to backup the Galaxy Ace 2 data, because it might get wiped out. Usually, this isn’t happening when using Odin, but you can never be too sure when it is about your personal saves and info. Remember to backup EFS and internet settings too, because without the same you will not be able to properly use your device. Finally, make sure that you are completing this step by step guide only for updating the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 model number I8160 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXMB2 OS; using this tutorial for a similar phone (like the Ace S5830) will brick your Android based device.
How to Manually Update Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXMB2 OS
- Use the link from here for saving the update file on your computer.
- Then, extract the file on the same PC.
- Up next, you need to download and install Odin.
- Also, get Samsung KIES for installing the proper drivers for your Galaxy Ace 2.
- Now, on the computer open Odin.
- Download mode must be entered on your phone.
- For that first turn off the Galaxy Ace 2.
- Then, reboot by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Center key and Power buttons at the same time.
- With the handset in download mode connect it with the computer via its USB cable.
- Now, on Odin the “added” messages should be displayed.
- And the ID:COM section should be yellow.
- If not, reinstall the drivers and re-do the steps.
- From Odin, go and do the following: select “PIT” and get the GT-I8160_EUR_XX_4G.pit file; select “PDA” and get the CODE_I8160XXMB2_932015_REV00_user_low_noship.tar file; select “CSC” and get the CSC_OXA_I8160OXAMB2_932015_REV00_user_low_noship.tar file.
- Don’t make any other changes.
- Click on “start” and wait while the update is being installed.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed meaning that you can safely remove the USB cable.
Probably the first boot will take longer than usual, but there is nothing wrong with your device. Also, if you somehow get a boot loop, all you need to do is to:
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot into recovery mode.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- And then “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and you are done and ready to use the new firmware.
Congratulations, you have managed to safely install the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXMB2 OS on your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160. Now you can enjoy the latest features and Android experience on your own device. Remember that the software can also be OTA or by using KIES applied, but not all the users will receive it at the same time. Share your impressions and thoughts related to the operation explained above with us and with other users by using the comments area from below and stay close for further tutorials and Android related tips and tricks.