The Galaxy Ace 2 is a highly appreciated and popular mid range and budget friendly Android based smartphone that brings decent performances to its users. Unfortunately Samsung decided not to provide any further official OTA updates for this device, so currently the Ace 2 is stuck on Jelly Bean firmware. Since KitKat is out from a while, maybe you will want to test and try the Android 4.4.2 OS on your own Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. Well, in that case you should read, follow and complete this step by step guide as we will be checking on how to install CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM firmware on the Galaxy Ace 2.
Why CM11? Well, basically because this Android 4.4.2 KitKat based custom ROM software is one of the most appreciated firmware available on the market. The CM11 platform is also available for both high end and mid range devices and it is smoothly working on almost any Android powered smartphone and tablet that’s released on the market. Therefore, CM11 will be running without lags and bugs on your Galaxy Ace 2, so you will be able to experience a stable variant of Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS right on your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.
CM11 is coming with stock KitKat features along with extra capabilities and apps that can’t be found on the default version of the Android 4.4.2 system. All these capabilities can then be used for improving the performances of your Galaxy Ace 2 and for customizing and optimizing its Android interface. Basically, with CM 11 installed on your Galaxy Ace 2 you will be able to remove bloatware, improve the speeds, upgrade the battery life, change the looks and lot more. Your smartphone will become your new playground and you will be able to change its default settings and in built programs.
As you can already tell, CM 11 isn’t an official Android 4.4.2 KitKat update released by Samsung for your Galaxy Ace 2. The firmware represents a custom ROM that is only based on stock KitKat system and it is developed by third party devs. So, this software has nothing to do with Samsung or with Google, meaning that this update operation can be completed only manually and only by using a compatible tutorial, just like the present one. Furthermore, this guide is unofficial and by completing the same you will lose the warranty of your Galaxy Ace 2 – don’t worry as you can restore the same by downgrading your handset to stock Android Jelly Bean OS.
Now, if you want to install CM11 on your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, first you will have to root your Android device. Without gaining root access you will not be able to flash a custom ROM so this operation is not an option for you. Moreover, after rooting your handset, the next to do is to replace the stock recovery with a custom recovery image. You should use the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery in order to safely update your Ace 2 with CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM Firmware. Do note that both operations are also unofficial so be careful when performing the same and use only compatible step by step guides.
On the other hand, since this a manual installation procedure, before heading to the proper flashing process, you should first take care of the general pre requisites. In that matter, ensure that you can use a computer, notebook or desktop – of course near the same you should have your smartphone and its USB cable. Now, on the computer you are using, deactivate – only temporarily – the security protection as all the antivirus tools might interfere with the update operation. Furthermore, in order to properly connect your phone with your computer, on your Ace 2 enable the USB debugging option by going to path “menu – settings – developer options”.
It is important to check the battery status of your phone before doing anything else; if the battery power is less than 50%, you will have to charge your handset – if it gets turned off in the middle of the installation procedure, it might also get bricked.
Another thing that is highly recommended is a backup. As you will see during the steps from below, in order to flash CM11 on your Galaxy Ace 2, first you will have to wipe the system of your phone and to clear cache. Due to same reasons you can lose everything that’s important for you. Therefore, take your time, download compatible backup and restore apps from Google Play and save your contacts, call logs, market apps, text messages, EFS folder, internet settings and even the current ROM by making a Nandroid backup – in that matter you will have to use the custom recovery image.
This tutorial is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. Therefore, don’t use the next steps for installing CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM firmware in case you own a similar or different Android device as you can end up in bricking your phone or tablet.
How to Update Galaxy Ace 2 with CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Custom ROM
- On your computer you have to download the required files. In order to do so, from here get the CM11 update and from here get the Google Apps package – Google apps are not included on the firmware so you will have to install the same separately.
- Place these files on your desktop and don’t unzip anything.
- Now, connect your Galaxy Ace 2 with your computer by plugging in the USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded files from desktop to your phone’s SD card.
- In the end unplug the USB cord and turn off your phone – press power button once and select “power off” or keep pressing the power key for about 15 seconds.
- The, enter recovery mode on your Galaxy Ace 2.
- From recovery mode first of all select “wipe data factory reset”. Then, choose “wipe cache partition” and finally pick “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery and from there select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM11 update first and install the same. Then apply the same step and flash Google Apps package on your Ace 2.
- Finally, from main menu of recovery select “reboot system now” and you are done.
- Note: if your smartphone will get stuck in a boot loop, go back to recovery and this time select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. That’s all, in the end reboot and everything should be working as planned.
So, congratulations, you have successfully completed our step by step guide, which means that now you know to how install CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM firmware on your Samsung Galaxy Ace 2. Do share your experience with us and if you have problems or further questions, don’t hesitate and contact us by using the comments field from below.