The Galaxy Ace S5830 users had received the last official OS update for their handsets back on March this year, when Samsung released the Gingerbread DDKQ8 firmware. Luckily for the same users, it seems that Samsung is preparing to launch a new ROM for its Galaxy Ace devices. Don’t get too excited though, as we are not dealing with the Ice Cream Sandwich flavor. It will be a Gingerbread improvement too, so no major changes for us. Anyway, we managed to put our hands on this new software, so during the following, I will be showing you on how to install the new Gingerbread XWKPY 2.3.6 update on your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830.
Take notice that the present release isn’t a custom ROM, or a beta firmware; you will flash official software on your smartphone. But, you will not be able to OTA apply the same, or use Samsung KIES for the matter, as the company hasn’t yet offered the ROM and there are no words of its future appearance. So, I will describe the manual method, which can be applied on any Galaxy Ace model number S5830. Don’t use this tutorial for updating similar devices because you can brick them.
If you don’t want to use this update for your phone, or if you want to power its capabilities with a more powerful firmware, you can always search within our previous step by step guides, as we have brought you several custom ROMs which are available for your smartphone and can be installed anytime you want. Now, being a stock firmware, using the same will not make you lose the warranty. Furthermore, by flashing the XWKPY software you will be able to re-gain the warranty in case your phone was previously powered by a beta OS. Also, if you have a rooted device, after updating it you will need to re-gain root access again. Of course, this time, you will have to follow the instructions from a guide that suits the new operating system. We will come with such a method so stay close.
We should get to work, as there are many things to take care of. First of all, you have to backup the Galaxy Ace. You will apply the update manually, so in the end a full wipe of the system will be required. That means you can lose precious info such as text messages, contacts, Market apps, calendar info, data and more. So, don’t hesitate and complete a full and safe backup, at least for the most important data stored on your phone’s internal storage memory. The data form the SD card is in safe hands so you don’t have to back it up.
Then, make sure you can use a computer, your phone and its USB cord. On the PC we will save the update file and Odin, which is a tool that will help us during the procedure. Now, on the PC and on the phone there should be done the following:
- After backing up the data you should check the battery status of your phone. There should be at least 70 % power remained. If different charge your handset.
- Deactivate the Firewall programs that run on both smartphone and computer.
- On the Ace go to Settings and enable the USB Debugging option: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
These were the pre requisites and you must complete them if you want to safely update your Galaxy Ace. Also, read all the lines from this guide for avoiding the unpleasant situations that may occur. Up next I will start with detailing the steps. Do as explained and try not to do things by yourselves.
How to Update Galaxy Ace with Official Gingerbread XWKPY 2.3.6 Firmware
- Download the Gingerbread XWKPY 2.3.6 update from here.
- Download Odin.
- Place these files on your computer.
- Extract the same and in the end open Odin.
- Reboot the Galaxy Ace and enter in download mode.
- Download mode can be reached by holding on the Volume Down Key and OK button while powering the device on.
- Then, you must take the USB cord and use it for connecting the phone with the computer.
- On the Odin window the ID:COM section should be yellow now.
- If not, you will have to install the USB drivers and check the KIES option. Only after that you can retry the up-mentioned steps.
- Up next, click on “OPS” and select the “Cooper_v1.0.ops”, tick mark on “One package” option.
- Then, select the “S5830XWKPY_S5830XWKPA_S5830XEUKP1_HOME.tar.md5” file (via “One Package” option).
- Click start.
- Wait and don’t press anything until the phone’s reboot.
- You can then disconnect the handset from the PC.
- A full wipe is required for ensuring that everything is working fine.
- Enter in recovery mode.
- From the recovery mode menu choose to “Wipe data factory reset” and “Wipe cache partition”.
- Then return to the recovery menu and select “reboot system now”.
That was all that needs to be done. That was the how to procedure in which you could learn how to manually update the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 with official but yet not released Gingerbread XWKPY 2.3.6 firmware. Give it a try and tell us if you like the new ROM and if it’s better than the previous one. Also do tell us if there were problems during the steps and we will try to help you make it through.