Update Galaxy Ace S5830 with 4.1 Jelly Bean based Revolution Light Custom ROM
The Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 users can now power up the performances of their smartphones by installing the latest custom ROM available, the Revolution Light V1 software. By flashing the same on your phone you will be able to update a Jelly Bean based firmware on your Ace, so that you can easily enjoy and test some of the latest Android features, looks and capabilities right on your own device. In order to succeed with this operation, I have explained a step by step guide which will take you through the installation procedure, so for further info check the next lines.
Take note that this is not an official firmware released by Samsung, the Revolution Light custom ROM being developed by those of xda-developers (we have to thanks them for the present tutorial). Furthermore, by completing this guide you will not update the Galaxy Ace with a Jelly Bean OS, though the platform comes with several Android 4.1 features and themes. As usual, when we talk about custom ROMs, you should know that you will not be getting the classic Android system as there will be added different features that cannot be found in the default version of the mentioned OS.
Anyway, before deciding whether to update your Galaxy Ace to Jelly Bean based Revolution Light custom ROM or not, you should first take a look over the features that will be installed on your handset. I have mentioned the most relevant ones in the image from below; also remember that this is the first version of the software, meaning that there might be some bugs into the system. Don’t worry though as those of xda-developers will resolve the same once a new variant of the update will be provided.
If you do want to continue with this tutorial, then you must first prepare your Galaxy Ace for the flashing process that will follow. That’s why you must first complete the next pre requisites; if not you will not be able to apply the Jelly Bean styled update on your smartphone.
You should start by rooting your Ace S5830 device. If your phone has been previously rooted, then you can skip this part. The Revolution Light custom ROM can be updated only on an unchained system, meaning that you must remove the factory restrictions out from your phone. This can be performed by gaining root access, a procedure that can be easily completed (follow our suitable how to guide). Be aware, as this will imply in voiding the warranty; the only way available for restoring the warranty is the downgrade one (reinstall the stock firmware, or update with an official software provided by Samsung and suitable with your Ace).
The next thing to do is to download and install a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery. This tool is extremely important because you will have to use it for performing a full wipe of the system and for installing the Jelly Bean update on your Galaxy Ace. Yes, a wipe is being required, so a backup must also be performed. I have mentioned some backup and restore tips below, so that you can easily take care of the same. Furthermore, during the same list you can see which the rest of the pre requisites are; complete them before heading to the proper steps.
- Use a custom recovery image if you want to backup the current ROM; in case something bad happens while trying to flash the Jelly Bean based one, you will be able to easily restore the stock OS.
- The text messages can be saved and this by downloading suitable backup and restore apps for Android.
- Furthermore, there are backup and restore apps for saving the call logs, so don’t hesitate and use the same.
- Backup the EFS folder and the internet settings.
- Sync with your Gmail account for saving the contacts list.
- Use a computer or SD card for backing up other files like images or videos.
- You will have to use a computer and on the same and on the phone deactivate or uninstall the security tools (antivirus and Firewall protection included).
- On your handset enable the USB debugging option; go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Your device should be first charged, or else it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure.
- Remember to root and install a custom recovery image.
- Apply the next steps only for updating the Samsung Galaxy Ace model number S5830; the Jelly Bean styled Revolution Light custom ROM will work only on the mentioned smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy Ace S5830 with Jelly Bean based Revolution Light Custom ROM
- On your computer, download the update file.
- Use the download link from here.
- Take your Ace and by using its USB cord connect the handset with the computer.
- Select the downloaded file and copy-paste it, or just drag and drop, from the computer to the phone SD card.
- Once completed, disconnect the device from the PC.
- Turn the Ace off.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- As soon as recovery mode is reached, navigate through its menu and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, return to the main window by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Up next, select “install zip from sd card” and then “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file from the SD card and install the same.
- The flash operation should take a couple of minutes, don’t press anything.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Well, there you have it; that was the how to procedure from which you could learn how to update the Samsung Galaxy Ace with the Jelly Bean based Revolution Light Custom ROM firmware. Remember that an official Gingerbread value pack is being available for your device, so if you don’t like this beta ROM then you can easily learn how to install an official OS on your Ace. Don’t forget to share your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users by using the comments area from below. Also stay close if you want to receive the latest Android new and tutorials.