Even though the Samsung Galaxy Ace is not a high end smartphone there are many Android users who own this handset, the affordable price tag and its decent specs, making the Ace one of the most popular Samsung phone. So, its users should be interested in installing the latest OS updates available not only for receiving the latest Android features but also to power up the performances of their devices.
As you know there are many ICS and Jelly Bean custom ROMs suitable for your Galaxy Ace, though not all the upgrades are being stable ones. That’s why you should always know how to update your Ace with an official or stock ROM. We will be checking on the same, as the official Gingerbread 2.3.6 value pack XWKTM software has been released by Samsung. Furthermore, because the mentioned platform has been offered only for limited countries, I will show you how to complete a manual operation from which you can learn how to apply the official Gingerbread update on your Galaxy Ace S5830.
The best part related with an official update, like the present value pack XWKTM, is that the warranty can be restored in case it was previously voided. And, by flashing custom ROMs or beta firmware, you will surely void the warranty. So, by performing this step by step guide you will be able to install the latest and official Gingerbread OS for your Galaxy Ace and also you will be able to restore the factory restrictions and relock the bootloader of your device. As mentioned before, this means that the warranty will be regained. It will be a good idea to bookmark this page before installing unofficial software on your Ace, as if the ROM is not performing as expected or if there are major bugs in the system, you will be able to easily return to the stock Gingerbread 2.3.6 ROM (which is coming straight from Samsung, so no bugs and issues here).
As we are dealing with an official release of the Gingerbread platform, for applying the same on your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 you will not have to previously root your smartphone. Therefore, you don’t have to unlock the system and to install a custom recovery image for succeeding with the present tutorial. Also, in case your phone is already rooted, then after applying the update, the root access will be revoked. Don’t worry as we will bring a suitable root guide for the new OS in the coming days, so stay close.
Even though you don’t have to root your device, a backup must still be completed first. As the Gingerbread update isn’t worldwide available, for flashing it on your Ace you will have to use Odin, which is a dedicated tool designed and used especially for this type of operations (but more about how to use Odin can be checked during the proper steps from below). Now, you will have to perform the backup; for that you can use our backup and restore guides (search through our how to section for the same) from which you can easily learn how to save the contacts, the text messages, the call logs, the EFS folder, the internet settings and more.
After backing up the data, you must ensure that you can use a Windows powered computer, your Ace and its USB cord. On the computer you will have to download and install Odin. Then, on the PC and phone, deactivate the security and protection tools like antivirus and Firewall; these programs can interfere with the update operation. Furthermore, on your Ace enable the USB debugging option by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”. Also, check the battery status of your handset: if there is less than 60% power left go and charge the battery before heading to the steps from below. Finally, don’t install the Gingerbread 2.3.6 Value Pack XWKTM on similar devices with the Samsung Galaxy Ace model number S5830 as you can end up in bricking your smartphones.
How to Update Galaxy Ace S5830 with Official Gingerbread 2.3.6 Value Pack XWKTM
- As mentioned above, the first thing to do is to download Odin and the required update file.
- The download link for Odin and OPS is here.
- The download link for the Gingerbread package is here.
- Extract Odin and the update file on your PC.
- On the computer open Odin.
- Turn off your handset.
- Reboot the Galaxy Ace in download mode.
- For that press and hold the Volume Down Key and the OK button while pressing on the Power one.
- As soon as the device is booted in download mode, you can then connect it with the computer by using its USB cord.
- Once the phone is successfully connected, on Odin you should see the “added” message displayed and also the ID:COM section should be yellow now.
- If not, try to reinstall the drivers on your PC and redo the above steps.
- On Odin click on the “OPS” option and select “Cooper_v1.0.ops” and “One package”.
- Click on the “One Package” tab and just select the update file which you have downloaded and extracted before (“S5830XWKTM_S5830OXXKT3_S5830XWKT7_HOME.tar.md5”).
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Click on “Start”.
- Wait for the process to complete the update.
- In the end the smartphone will reboot and on Odin you should see the “pass” message displayed.
- You can now remove the USB cord.
Congratulations, this is the end of the tutorial. You have succeeded in installing the official Value Pack XWKTM Gingerbread 2.3.6 OS update on your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830. Remember that this is the stock ROM so you can apply it whenever you want to restore the warranty or restore the default system on your phone. Do tell us how things worked with the steps from above and share the possible problems with us by using the comments area from below.