Update Galaxy Ace S5830 using CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 Android Nightly Build Firmware
The CM9 Android 4.0.3 ICS reached a new version of nightly build and in this article you will find instructions on how to successfully apply it on your Galaxy ACE S5830 device.
This new ROM release has been made available by CyanogenMod team and it has reached a brand new Nightly build edition and this one bring a whole lot of other stability repairs that should give you an enhanced Android 4.0.3 ICS experience. As you might’ve guessed, this release isn’t an official Samsung release and you will need a rooted device for it to work. Before applying the changes, you will need to read the preparation guide that will help you configure your device and your computer for the updating process.
Here’s what you need to know and what actions to take, so that the CM9 Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM will successfully install on your Galaxy ACE S5830:
- make sure to create backups of your photos, audio, video and all other important files as these might be corrupted while applying the new ROM changes. You can either move them on your PC or you can choose to move them on your phone’s internal SDcard, as that part will remain unchanged.
- you should only install this new CM9 firmware update only on Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 devices. Any other Ace versions aren’t supported by it.
- text messages can be backed up using the SMS Backup&Restore. Use the guide listed here to learn how to use it.
- for those who wish to save the Call logs then they should use this guide.
- sync the Contacts in your Android phone using the info here.
- save the APN and MMS Settings info, just in case the Internet won’t work after you complete the installation of the new firmware ROM.
- note that there might be some functions and features of ICS that isn’t fully working when the firmware is in Nightly build phase.
- Enable USB debugging option on your phone.
- your phone has to be rooted and that the CWM Recovery mode
- charge the battery of your phone until it reaches over 70% percent power levels. This means that it won’t discharge while you’re installing the new ROM.
Now that you know all of the above, we can move to the how-to guide and learn how to update your Galaxy ACE to the new CyanogenMod 9 ROM firmware. Make sure to read all the steps and to apply all of them before starting to apply the changes. Install all files suggested and in case you cannot complete any of the steps below then you should ask us in comments.
How to install / update CM9 Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 Nightly Build on Galaxy Ace S5830 smartphone:
- Download the CM9 Android 4.0.3 ICS ROM zip file from here. Click on Releases and on the opened page click the ‘download’ button. Wait for the download to be completed.
- Move the ROM’s zip file on your phone’s internal SDcard. Do not extract its contents, simply leave it as it is.
- Power Off the phone and then enter CWM recovery boot mode.
- CWM Recovery can be entered by pressing and holding the Home Center and Power ON buttons. Wait for the recovery mode to be loaded. In case recovery doesn’t boot then you should retry until you manage to load it.
- When in recovery you will need to select the option called ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option and then confirm its actions.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and from the new recovery menu you need to select ‘choose zip from internal sdcard’.
- Use the volume keys to navigate and find the CM9 4.0.3 ICS ROM zip file for installation. Confirm that you wish to flash this new ROM and then wait until the updating process is finished.
- After the update is complete, you need to select ‘++Go Back++’ and then ‘reboot system now’. Wait for your device to complete the first boot into the new CM9 based home screen. In case the first boot takes way too long to load, then it means that the files weren’t successfully applied and you will then need to repeat all the steps above.
- If the Android 4.0.3 ICS home screen loads it means that you have managed to update your Galaxy Ace S5830 device successfully and that should do it. Now you’re free to restore all your applications and all other files you’ve saved before installing the new ROM.
Use the comments section to ask for help or for any other thoughts you might have regarding Galaxy Ace S5830 phone or the CM9 Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM firmware.