Update Galaxy Captivate i897 to Jelly Bean with Slim Custom ROM Firmware
The Samsung Galaxy Captivate is ready to join the group of the recently Jelly Bean updated smartphones, as in this step by step guide I will be teaching you in how to install the Android 4.1.1 based Slim custom ROM firmware on any Captivate i897 handsets. From what you might know, the phone is already able to receive the Jelly Bean update via CM 10 (a suitable how to guide can be found by searching through our recent posts), but this update is more stable and comes with more features than the CM 10 one.
Samsung first released the Captivate back in 2012, when the device was extremely appreciated due to its high end specs and features. But, since then, many other smartphones were launched, so nowadays the Captivate is a little bit outdated. The phone is offering a 4 inch Super AMOLED touchscreen, a single core 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 16 GB of storage memory, a 5 MP camera and the Gingerbread OS. Well, all these can be easily improved by applying a custom ROM, which is able to optimize and customize the system and the capabilities of your device. That’s exactly what the Slim ROM will do (along with flashing the Jelly Bean platform), so for the rest of the details check the lines from below.
The present update isn’t coming from Samsung, the ROM being designed by third party team, the Slim Bean ROM developers who had managed to find o way for bringing the Jelly Bean OS to the Galaxy Captivate i897 smartphones. According to them, this is the first release of the firmware so there might be some issues or things that aren’t working properly. The same will be resolved in the coming days, when a new version of the Slim software will be made available. But for making a background view of the operation you are about to perform, here are some of the features that do work:
Now, as we are dealing with a custom ROM and not with an official update, for being able to flash the same on your device you will have to previously root the Captivate. Gaining root access implies in making changes to the system, so the warranty will be void. You can regain it by applying the stock ROM (or downgrading to it) or by installing a software released by Samsung. After rooting, install a custom recovery image, a tool which will help us with the installation procedure and with the backup process (see the section from below). You cannot update the Captivate to jelly Bean without completing these tasks.
The ROM will not work unless you make a full wipe of the system. This means that you will lose all of your personal data and info which is stored on your device. A backup operation is required; there are many ways available for completing it, use the one that you are used to. If you don’t know how to take care of the backup here are some tips:
- Use a custom recovery image for saving / restoring the current ROM.
- Use a computer for temporarily save the images, video or any other file from your phone.
- Sync with your Gmail account for backing up the contact list.
- Download and install SMS backup apps for Android.
- Download and install Call log backup and restore tools.
- Save the internet settings.
Then, you must take care of the rest of the preparation things. You have them listed below. Don’t skip this section as it’s the most relevant one.
- You will have to use a Windows running computer. On the same and on your smartphone uninstall the Firewall and antivirus protection. Also, if there is any other security program installed, deactivate it.
- Remember to root the Captivate.
- Install a custom recovery image.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your handset: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- If your phone has less than 70% power left, go and charge its battery first.
Your smartphone is now prepared for the step by step guide. Read the lines from below carefully and don’t perform things by yourselves. Also, apply the guide only for the Samsung Galaxy Captivate model number i897 and not for other similar Android powered devices because you can easily brick them.
How to Update Galaxy Captivate i897 to Jelly Bean with Slim Custom ROM Firmware
- The first thing to do is to download the Slim custom ROM file; download link here.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Then, use the USB cord and connect the phone with the computer.
- Select the downloaded file and copy it to the handset’s SD card.
- Disconnect the device by removing the cable.
- Turn it off.
- Enter in recovery mode.
- You can do this by pressing on the Volume Up Key and OK button while powering on.
- The first to do in recovery is the wipe.
- For the full wipe choose: “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, return to the recovery menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Again, from recovery select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the update file from your phone.
- Click “yes”.
- Wait until the installation process ends and don’t press anything.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was the manual method in which you could update your Samsung Galaxy Captivate i897 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean OS by installing the Slim custom ROM firmware. The process was easy to handle, but if you had encountered issues or if you had problems in understanding one of the steps, share the problems with us so we can help you through. Also, stay close for further step by step guides and Android related tips.