Even though Android 4.4 KitKat OS is on everybody’s lips, there are still devices that are receiving OTA Jelly Bean updates. The same is happening for the budget friendly Samsung Galaxy Fame, which can now be installed with the official Android 4.1.2 VJAML2 Jelly Bean firmware. The update has been OTA rolled out by Samsung for the Galaxy Fame users, but if you haven’t received the software yet, you can use this step by step guide for manually flashing Android 4.1.2 VJAML2 OS on your Samsung Galaxy Fame.
As you know, when talking about OTA updates we are also talking about timing. Unfortunately, usually the OTA releases are being rolled out gradually or in phases which mean that some users will receive the update sooner than others. Of course we can apply this things for the present VJAML2 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware which is the official update released by Samsung for the Galaxy Fame. That might be one reason for applying this manual update operation and install VJAML2 OS without waiting for the OTA to be spotted.
On the other hand, since VJAML2 Android 4.1.2 represents the official firmware which is currently available for your Galaxy Fame, this guide might be used for restoring the warranty on your device, or for installing the stock Android OS on your smartphone. As you know, usually the warranty gets void when gaining root access while the Android OS gets modified when installing custom ROMs (based on different versions of Android system). Therefore, bookmark this tutorial as who knows when you will need the same.
So, VJAML2 isn’t a custom ROM, as the firmware is actually an official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS which is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Fame. Furthermore, this is a manual update procedure that will show you how to apply the mentioned software on your Android device. Because of that, the present flashing method is suitable with both rooted and un-rooted or locked handsets, though if root access has been ensured earlier, now root will be revoked – you will then have to follow a new root procedure that can be safely applied on the Galaxy Fame that runs on stock Android 4.1.2 JB VJAML2 platform.
This is an official operation and for completing the same Odin will be used. As you might know Odin is a dedicated program compatible with Samsung devices and used especially on update operations. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about – you won’t use any custom or unofficial apps or methods on your way to update your Galaxy Fame. Anyway, do read all the lines form this tutorial as after all this is a manual flashing procedure that can become risky for your device – only if you mess things up.
As for the VJAML2 firmware, you should know that this Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean system is stable and runs smoothly on the Galaxy Fame. Furthermore, according to those who have already tested the ROM, there are no bugs, issues or things that aren’t working properly. In fact, VJAML2 is bringing the latest features, apps and capabilities to your phone which means that with Android 4.1.2 you device will run faster and also better. As you can see, you have all the reasons for resuming the guidelines from below and for updating your Android device to official Android Jelly Bean OS.
But first, before going any further make a backup. In some cases, rare ones, after using Odin for flashing the firmware, the data which is saved on the internal storage of your device might get corrupted or even erased. So, if you have something important saved on your phone, use suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play; a good idea is to save the contacts list, the call logs, the EFS folder, market apps, internet settings and personal data, info and accounts.
Other than that, ensure that you can use a computer – a Windows based one actually. Furthermore, do take your Galaxy Fame and its USB cable as a connection between these devices must be established. Because of that, before heading to the steps from below, enable the USB debugging option on your handset by going to “menu –settings – developer options”. Then also consider in charging your smartphone especially if the power left is less than 50%. If your phone gets stuck in the middle of the installation procedure, you will risk in bricking your Fame. On both computer and handset you need to deactivate the security protection, like antivirus or antimalware programs, because these tools might interfere with our update operation.
Finally, this step by step guide is being compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Fame. Android 4.1.2 VJAML2 firmware has been OTA released by Samsung only for the mentioned Android device, so don’t use the steps from below for flashing the same software on a different smartphone or tablet because you can end up in bricking your device.
How to Update Galaxy Fame with Official Android 4.1.2 VJAML2 Jelly Bean OS
- The first thing to do, is to download the files that will be required.
- So, start by downloading the update file from here.
- Save the firmware on desktop.
- Download Odin and unzip the same on desktop.
- Also, install Galaxy Fame drivers on your computer – download Samsung KIES for achieving the same.
- Unzip the Android 4.1.2 update file on the same folder as Odin.
- Run Odin on your computer.
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Enter download mode: press and hold power, volume down and home buttons together for a few seconds.
- Connect your Galaxy Fame (entered in download mode) with your computer (where Odin is running) by using the USB cable.
- Once the connection established, on Odin you should notice the “added” message displayed and the ID:COM section turned yellow or blue.
- If not, you need to remove the USB cord and close Odin. Try to reinstall the drivers on your PC and then repeat the steps from above.
- Up next, from Odin you need to start the update process; in order to do so, select the “PA” option.
- Then pick the VJAML2 firmware file from desktop.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin; click on “start”.
- The flashing procedure will end when on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed and when the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Then you will be able to disconnect the smartphone by removing its USB cord; finally reboot your Galaxy Fame in Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS.
Congratulations, you have finally updated your Samsung Galaxy Fame to official Android 4.1.2 VJAML2 Jelly Bean OS. Even though you have used a manual flashing operation now you can enjoy the stock Android platform on your own device. So, do share your experience with us and use the comments field from below for talking with us or with other Android users who might want to use the steps explained above.