If you thought that your Samsung Galaxy Gio will no longer receive OS updates, then you should know that you can be anytime surprised. Of course I am talking about custom ROMs firmware, as due to hardware limitations, Samsung will not release ICS or Jelly Bean updates for the Galaxy Gio. But if you still want to test and enjoy the latest Android features on your own handset, then all you have to do is to get a custom software, like the MIUI 2.4.20 Gingerbread platform. Therefore, as you can already tell, today I will show you how to update the Samsung Galaxy Gio GT S5660 with the MIUI 2.4.20 ROM.
This software is being based on the Gingerbread OS, but don’t worry as extra features (that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system) will be added on your phone. Furthermore, after flashing the MIUI ROM on your Galaxy Gio, you will notice that the performances were improved, customized and optimized so that you can receive more power, speeds, an upgraded battery life and a lot more. Anyway, if this isn’t enough for you then you can anytime check our previous tutorials for learning how to update the Galaxy Gio to Jelly Bean firmware, or how to flash the stock ROM on your device.
The present update is being provided by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this step by step guide. Also, this is not an official software released by Samsung so this operation has nothing to do with the mentioned company. Don’t worry though, as according to those who had already tested the MIUI ROM on the Gio, the system is smoothly working meaning that there are no bugs or issues. If you want to learn more about the OS improvement, then you can check the list from below where I have mentioned the most relevant features that will be ported to your Galaxy Gio S5660.
Now, it’s time to check which the pre requisites are. These is the most important section of the present guide so don’t skip the same. If you do go straight to the update procedure, then you will risk in bricking your smartphone. Just read and perform the next lines and everything will work perfectly for your Gio.
- Backup the Samsung Galaxy Gio data before trying to install the Gingerbread based MIUI custom ROM firmware. All of your personal saves will be erased as a full wipe of the system will be required so it is more than recommended to apply this step before going any further. If you search through our how to section you can easily find how to save the contacts, messages, call logs, internet saves, EFS, current ROM and so on.
- Root the phone and install a custom recovery image into its system.
- The recovery image can be flashed only on a rooted system. Also, by rooting the warranty will get void, so be careful in what you do.
- You can regain the lost warranty as soon as you make a downgrade to the stock and official software; you will then reset the flash counter and revoke the root access which was previous gained.
- Make sure you can use a computer, your handset and its USB cord.
- On the phone enable the USB debugging option.
- Also, charge the battery if there is less than 60% power left.
- Uninstall or deactivate the security programs, like antivirus and Firewall protection from both computer and Galaxy Gio.
- Use this tutorial only for updating the Samsung Galaxy Gio model number GT S5660 with MIUI 2.4.20 Gingerbread Custom ROM firmware; the software can be applied only on the mentioned smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy Gio GT S5660 with MIUI 2.4.20 Gingerbread Custom ROM
- On your computer use this link and download the update file.
- Then, connect the handset with the computer by using the USB cord.
- Copy the downloaded file from the computer to your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cord and turn off the Gio.
- Reboot in recovery mode.
- You can enter the recovery mode by pressing the Menu and Power buttons at the same time.
- Now, from recovery perform the wipe.
- In order to make a full wipe select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the recovery menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- And then select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file which was downloaded and placed on the SD card before and start the installation procedure.
- When it is done, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- If the first boot will take longer than usually, don’t worry there is nothing wrong with your device.
Congratiulations, now your Samsung Galaxy Gio is running the MIUI 2.4.20 Gingerbread Custom ROM firmware. You should test the new software and then return here for sharing your impressions with us. Also, do tell if there were problems with the steps from above and we will try to do our best in order to help you out.