Update Galaxy Gio S5660 to Jelly Bean 4.1 with CM 10 Custom ROM Firmware
Even if according to Samsung, there won’t be any future official updates released for the Galaxy Gio S5660 handsets, you can still improve its OS by applying a custom ROM firmware. Last time when we talked about the Gio, you were able to flash the CyanogenMod 9 software into its system, which brought the Ice Cream Sandwich OS on your smartphone. Now, I will teach you how to update the Galaxy Gio to the latest Android platform, Jelly Bean 4.1, by installing the CM 10 custom ROM on it. The procedure will be similar with the one explained for the CM9 firmware, so you have nothing to worry about.
Because this is not an official update, you can’t OTA receive it. You must complete a manual operation for being able to flash the same on your phone. That’s exactly what you can learn during the present step by step guide, all being explained and detailed so everybody can understand what and how to do it. Also, for being able to flash the Jelly Bean based CyanogenMod 10 ROM you will have to previously root the phone and install a custom recovery image on it. You cannot complete the below steps without performing these tasks.
For rooting you must follow a suitable guide for your handset and also you should be aware as the warranty will be void. Read carefully before adventuring in changing something on your device as you can easily brick it. For the future, if you will want to regain the lost warranty, you will be able to do so, but only by downgrading to the stock ROM or by updating with an official software provided by Samsung for your Gio (not for similar Android powered smartphones). Then, the recovery image will be used for installing the CM 10 file on your phone, so getting the same isn’t an option for you.
As for the firmware you are about to get for your device, you should know that it’s still in beta stage, so there might be some bugs in the system. Don’t worry though as the issues will be removed as soon as the CM team will provide the proper ROM. Now, this version of the update was developed and tested for the Galaxy Gio by those of xda-developers (we have them to thanks for the present guide) and according to them there are some problems with the camera and with the proximity feature. But for making a better view of the software here are the things that do work:
On the other hand, a backup must be completed before applying this tutorial. The data might get corrupted so you will no longer be able to use the same. Also, there are some pre requisites that must be performed, or else you will not be able to update your Galaxy Gio. I have summarized during the next list some backup tips along with the preparation operations, so check and complete the same.
- Learn how to backup and then restore the current ROM in case you manage to damage it while trying to update your smartphone.
- Download SMS backup and restore tools for saving the text messages.
- Download Call log backup and restore apps for Android.
- Save the contacts by syncing with your Gmail account.
- Use a computer or SD card for saving other files.
- Remember to root and install a custom recovery image.
- Then, enable the USB debugging option from here: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Also, on both your computer and phone uninstall or deactivate the security programs like antivirus or Firewall protection.
In the end make sure that your device has enough battery life for the process (at least 70%) or else charge its battery.
Now, don’t perform the below steps of you own a similar device with the Samsung Galaxy Gio model number S5660 because you can brick it. Just stick to my directions, don’t apply thing by yourselves and everything should be just fine. So, let’s get started.
How to Update Galaxy Gio S5660 to Jelly Bean 4.1 with CM 10 Custom ROM Firmware
- The first thing to do is to download the CM 10 file from here to your computer.
- Then, connect the handset by using the USB cord with the mentioned PC.
- Copy-paste the file to your smartphone.
- Disconnect the device by removing the USB cord.
- Then, reboot and enter in recovery for beginning the installation procedure.
- The recovery can be reached by pressing on the Menu Button while powering on.
- First, in recovery choose “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- Then, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file.
- Wait until the installation procedure ends.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
That was all, now your Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660 handset is running the latest Android platform as you have installed the Jelly Bean based CM 10 custom ROM firmware into its system. Test the new OS and share your impressions with us and with other users. Also, stay close as we will update you with further step by step guides (the root procedure suitable for the new OS included) in the coming days.