Samsung released the Galaxy Grand 2 in January this year and even though everyone expected to buy the phone with Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS pre-installed, Jelly Bean was still preferred instead. Now, only a month after the official launch of Galaxy Grand 2, we have the first OTA update which has been already rolled out. Again, no it is not Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS, though the same firmware will be made available during the following weeks. The OTA update is dubbed as XXUANA8 and represents an Android 4.3 Jelly Bean system that comes with several stability improvements that worth your attention.
Unfortunately, the Android 4.3 XXUANA8 Jelly Bean OS has been officially released only in limited markets. Now, if you own the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 model number GT105 and haven’t received the OTA yet, it means that either the update is offered gradually and you will embrace it during the following days, or that XXUANA8 isn’t available on your region. So, if you are tired of waiting, we have the perfect solution or alternative for you: flashing the Android 4.3 XXUANA8 software manually on your Galaxy Grand 2.
Therefore, this guide will show you the exact same installation procedure. Now, even though it is a manual update solution, it doesn’t mean that you will not apply the official Android OS. Actually, you will flash the same XXUANA8 Android 4.3 firmware that has been OTA released, but you will do it manually. So, you can safely use the guidelines from below, because we are not dealing with custom ROMs, or with risky or complex operations – this tutorial can be completed even by a newbie. Of course, don’t apply things by yourselves as you can mess things up; if that happens you can end up in bricking your Android device.
The program which will be used on the update procedure is Odin. Odin is designed by Samsung so we have an official tool. Furthermore, Odin is usually used on these types of operations without any kind of problems. So, if you want to apply XXUANA8 Android 4.3 on your Galaxy Grand 2 you will not have to root or install a custom recovery image on your device, as these operations are being required when dealing with custom updates and with official ones.
In case your phone is rooted (this tutorial is compatible with both rooted and un-rooted handsets) after completing the steps from below, the root access will be revoked. That’s why, this guide can be used for restoring the warranty on your Galaxy Grand 2 – usually the warranty gets void when you apply unofficial operations like gaining root access, unlocking the bootloader and so on. Don’t worry as you will be able to re-root the XXUANA8 system –be sure to use a compatible root method or else you will end up in damaging your phone’s internal system.
Now, as I have mentioned in the introduction of this step by step guide, XXUANA8 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS represents only a minor update that has been OTA released for the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2. In that matter, don’t expect to receive new features, apps or capabilities as the update only brings stability improvements. Therefore, XXUANA8 is a stable Jelly Bean OS that runs fast and smooth on the Galaxy Grand 2. There are no bugs or issues included on this platform, this according to the users who have already flashed the OTA.
If you want to safely complete this guide, first you will have to read and apply the tasks from below. Don’t skip the pre requisites section as it is the most relevant part of this step by step guide.
- Backup the data which is saved on the internal storage of your device. Do that because in some cases, rare ones, the firmware can be applied only after wiping the system of your Android device. So, in order to avoid unpleasant situations from happening, before going any further I recommend you to save your data.
- Basically you can use compatible backup and restore apps from Google Play for saving everything you want; you can backup EFS, market apps, call logs, personal info, data, accounts and even the contact list.
- Then, make sure that you can use a Windows running computer – Odin can be installed and used only on the same.
- Your Galaxy Grand 2 and your phone’s USB cable must be near you because you will have to connect your devices in order to manually install official XXUANA8 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM.
- In order to safely establish the mentioned connection, on your handset you need to enable the USB debugging option. You can do that by going to path “menu – settings – developer options”.
- Another thing to do: before starting the update operation from below, on your computer temporarily disable the antivirus and any other security protection. You need to do this because in some cases the antivirus programs are interfering with Odin or with the update operation.
- Also your smartphone must have enough battery life left in its system; else it might get turned off in the middle of the flashing operation. Check the battery status and if there is less than 50% power left, plug in the charger before doing anything else.
Android 4.3 XXUANA8 Jelly Bean OS has been released by Samsung for the Galaxy Grand 2 model number GT105. This means that the present step by step guide is compatible only with the mentioned Android device. Using the steps from below for updating another smartphone or tablet will probably brick your beloved handset; try not to mess things up and don’t apply things without consulting the next procedure.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 GT105 to Official Android 4.3 XXUANA8 JB Firmware
- First on your computer you need to download and also install the required files.
- So, download the Android 4.3 firmware file from here.
- Also, download Odin.
- Place these files on desktop.
- Unzip Odin and then unzip the update file on the same folder as Odin.
- The Galaxy Grand 2 drivers must be installed on your computer. You can get the drivers by using Samsung KIES.
- Finally, run Odin on your computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Enter it in download mode.
- For download mode press and hold Volume Down, Home and Power buttons at the same time for a few seconds.
- Good, now with the phone booted in download mode and with Odin running on your computer, connect the devices by using the USB cable.
- Odin will recognize your device. If everything is working as expected, on your computer the “added” message will be displayed while the ID:COM section will turn yellow or blue.
- If not, you will have to close Odin, restart your phone and reinstall the drivers on your computer; then you can retry the process from above.
- Now, from Odin you need to click on the option dubbed as “PA”.
- Then from the window that will be displayed, you have to pick the firmware file from your computer.
- Good; don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Click on ”start”.
- Now the Android 4.3 firmware file will be updated on your Galaxy Grand 2.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed and the ID:COM will turn green.
- You can unplug the USB cable and reboot your device now.
In some cases there might be some problems with Odin; if the program gets stuck while you are trying to apply the steps mentioned above, try to resolve the issue by following the next steps:
- Close Odin (force close the program if you can’t do it in other way).
- Also, force restart your Galaxy Grand 2.
- Re-flash the drivers on your computer.
- Reboot your phone in download mode.
- Run Odin on your PC.
- Repeat the update process from proper tutorial.
Also, in rare cases, after completing the steps from above your smartphone might get stuck in a boot loop. Now, as I have mentioned earlier a wipe is sometimes required in order to make things work. Now, that’s our case, so follow:
- Enter your Galaxy Grand 2 in recovery mode.
- You can reboot in recovery by pressing on Power, Volume Up and Home buttons at the same time.
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset”.
- Also pick “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to main menu of recovery.
- And select “reboot system now”.
If you are experiencing any other kind of issue, try to use our dedicated step by step guide from here, or use the comments area for sharing your problems with our team – we will assist you as soon as possible.
Congratulations; you have completed this manual installation procedure, which means that now you know how to update your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 GT105 to official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean XXUANA8 OS. Android 4.4.2 KitKat OTA is on its way, so stay close as we will update you with fresh info as soon as something new comes out. Furthermore, don’t hesitate and use our how to section for applying other tutorials – you can also learn how to easily root your Galaxy Grand 2 on Android 4.3 XXUANA8 firmware (an one-click root method is available for almost all the Samsung branded devices). In the end, don’t forget to feedback us as your opinion is all that matters for Android.gs.