In September the Galaxy Grand I9082 had received two OTA updates. While the first one has been a disappointment as the firmware has been released with the RAM consumption bug, the second software is more on our taste because the platform is stable and comes to resolve the mentioned bug along other minor issues. So, during the present tutorial we will be checking on how to flash the same on your device, meaning that you will learn how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy Grand to official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMI1 OS.
So, the XXUBMI1 firmware is the latest Android 4.2.2 JB OTA update that has been rolled out by Samsung for your Grand I9082. But we are talking about an official software which means that the OTA release will be rolled out in phases, while some users might not receive the notification at all – especially if you have rooted your phone (on rooted systems the stock update can’t be received or applied so a manual method will be required). Therefore, if you need to manually flash the ROM on your smartphone, this step by step guide will be more than helpful for you.
Don’t worry though as this tutorial will be compatible with all the variants of Samsung Galaxy Grand I9082, meaning that it doesn’t matter if your phone is rooted or not. Furthermore, you can apply this guide even if your handset is currently running on a custom ROM and kernel, because you will be able to restore to stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. Because of that, by applying the XXUBMI1 firmware, the root access (if it has been previously gained) will be revoked and the warranty restored. As you can see the best will be to bookmark this page because who knows when you will need a similar procedure that can fix and bricked Android device.
Good, so root access isn’t required for this tutorial, which means that installing a custom recovery image is also unnecessarily – these are tasks that have to be performed when dealing with custom ROMs and not with OTA updates, like the present XXUBMI1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS. In order to complete this guide for your Galaxy Grand, Odin will be used. You will have to download the mentioned program and install it on your computer. Then, by following the guidelines from below you will be able to safely update your smartphone. Anyhow, before that let’s see which the pre requisites are.
- As already mentioned, you will have to use a computer or notebook; well since Odin can be installed only on Windows platforms, use a Windows running computer.
- On the same, if there are antivirus, antimalware or any other security programs, uninstall them, or temporarily deactivate the security protection – in rare cases, the antivirus programs are interfering with the update operation.
- Since this is a manual installation procedure, completing the same will take a while (a couple of minutes to be more precise), so your phone must have enough battery life left – if it gets turned off you might end up in bricking your device. Therefore, if your Grand has less than 50% power left, charge the battery before going any further.
- On your Grand from “settings -> applications -> development” you should enable USB Debugging option; else you will not be able to properly connect your handset with the computer.
By using Odin you can avoid the unpleasant situations that are usually happening when dealing with custom ROMs. Anyway, even though using Odin is safe, a backup is still highly recommended, because there is nothing worse than losing your personal info, data and accounts. Therefore, use suitable backup and restore apps and save all that’s on the internal storage memory of your smartphone including contacts, messages, call logs, internet settings, EFS folder, market apps, calendar info and so on.
Remember that this guide is suitable only for the Galaxy Grand model number I9082. Also, do note that the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMI1 firmware is the latest OTA update that has been released by Samsung for your device – in late September. Also, the software is not coming with major improvements as there are no new features or capabilities added, only bug fixes and stability upgrades.
How to Update Galaxy Grand I9082 to Android 4.2.2 latest JB XXUBMI1 Firmware
- On your computer you need to have Odin, the XXUBMI1 software and the Galaxy Grand I9082 drivers.
- So, first download Odin.
- Unzip and install the program.
- Then, if you don’t have the Grand drivers, download Samsung KIES and install the same.
- Finally, download the firmware file from here.
- Save it on your desktop and then unzip the update package.
- Run Odin on your computer.
- Connect your Grand (it should be booted in download mode) with your computer via USB cable.
- For booting into download mode, first turn off your phone.
- Then, press and hold at the same time the power, volume down and home buttons.
- Good, now establish the connection.
- Now, on Odin the “added” message must be displayed; also the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue.
- If not, it means that Odin hasn’t recognized your smartphone; you will have to close Odin, unplug the USB cable and reflash the Grand drivers. Then, repeat the steps from above.
- Up next, from Odin select the option dubbed as “PDA”.
- From the window that opens, pick the firmware file from desktop.
- Click on “start”.
- Wait while the update is being applied.
- You will be done when on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed; also the ID:COM section will turn green.
- Perfect, you can now unplug the USB cable and reboot your handset.
- The first boot will take longer than usual, but as long as your Grand isn’t stuck in a boot loop, everything is ok. If a boot loop is what you get, you will have to reboot in recovery; from there you then have to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Finally, return to recovery and reboot your smartphone.
- Similar, Odin might get stuck while you are trying to apply the Android 4.2.2 firmware; if that happens, you need to close the program and unplug the USB cord. Also, you have to force restart your Galaxy Grand and repeat the steps from the guide above.
Good job guys; you have completed the steps by step guide, which means that now your Galaxy Grand I9082 is running on latest and official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUBMI1 firmware. Do use the comments area from below if you want to talk with us.