Good news guys as the Galaxy Grand I9082, which had just been released, can be updated with the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OS. Samsung launched the update a few days ago and the same can be OTA or by using KIES applied by the Galaxy Grand users, though the firmware is only available on limited markets yet. So, if you just can’t wait, or if you haven’t received the OTA ROM until now, you can anytime use this step by step guide for learning how to manually install the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMAB software on your Samsung Galaxy Grand model number I9082.
Also, this tutorial will be useful for the future too, because custom ROMs will soon be launched for the Grand and as you know, by flashing such a firmware you will lose the warranty of your handset. But, for restoring the warranty you will have to downgrade your Galaxy Grand to stock ROM, which now is the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXAMAB software, which means that by completing this guide you will be able to reset the flash counter and get the warranty back. So, bookmark this page because maybe you will have to use it in a couple of days or months.
As mentioned, the official update was released by Samsung a few days ago and can be OTA installed on the Galaxy Grand. The firmware is dubbed as XXAMAB and brings only some minor improvements and bug-fixes to your smartphone. But even though we are dealing with a small update, it is recommended to flash all the official ROMs for getting the best Android experience and the latest features and apps. Now, if you want to manually update your Galaxy Grant with the Android 4.1.2 XXAMAB firmware all you have to do is to complete the following steps.
In order to safely perform the task, you first have to prepare the handset for the update procedure. Remember that this is a manual operation therefore there must be applied some preparation tasks. For that you have the next list:
- Make sure you can use a Windows running computer where you will download some files.
- Also, ensure that you have access to your phone and to its USB cable.
- On the computer, and preferable also on your device, deactivate the antivirus and Firewall protection and options.
- Charge the battery of your handset.
- Backup the Galaxy Grand data, though it is unlikely to lose something; you can never be to sure when it comes to your personal saves and info. So, backup the text messages, call logs, market apps, contacts, EFS and whatever you need to.
- On your device go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development > USB debugging” and enable the last option.
The best part when it comes to a manual installation of an official software is related to the warranty. As mentioned by completing this tutorial you will not void the Galaxy Grand warranty, and more you can even restore it. Furthermore, you don’t have to root your phone for being able to apply the next steps and you don’t have to previously install a custom recovery image for succeeding with the same. Also, if you own a rooted smartphone, after applying the official Jelly Bean XXAMAB OS the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked. If you will need to re-root the device, make sure that you are following a guide that is suitable with the new platform (we will bring one soon).
Remember that the present step by step guide should be performed only by the Samsung Galaxy Grand model number I9082. If you try to install the stock Android 4.1.2 firmware on a similar handset you can end up in bricking your device. You are now prepared for the flashing operations, so let’s get started.
How to Update Galaxy Grand I9082 to Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMAB OS
- You first need to download the update file on your computer, by using the link from here.
- Then, download Odin as we will use it on the flashing process.
- Extract both files on your computer.
- Then, open Odin.
- Turn off the phone and turn it into download mode.
- You can enter the download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Center and Power buttons at the same time.
- With the phone in download mode, connect it with the computer via USB cable.
- On the computer install the drivers for your handset by downloading the KIES tool.
- Once the device is connected with the PC, on Odin the ID:COM section should be yellow; also the “added” message should be displayed.
- If not, re-install the drivers.
- From Odin, select “PDA” and pick the update file from your computer.
- Don’t make any other changes, just click on “start” and begin the update process.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message should be displayed.
- You can disconnect the smartphone from the PC.
Now, be aware as the first boot will take a few minutes, but don’t panic there is nothing wrong with your Galaxy Grand. Anyway, if you do get a boot loop, then you need to follow the next steps:
- Turn off the device, or just reboot into recovery mode.
- From the recovery mode menu select “wipe data factory reset”.
- And then “wipe cache partition”.
- In the end, choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Everything should be working now.
Congratulation, you have managed to complete the how to guide. Now, you Samsung Galaxy Grand is running the official Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXAMAB software. Remember that this is the stock variant of the Android system, so the update can also be OTA or by using KIES received. This method is the manual one and can be applied by those who hasn’t received the firmware yet, or by those who need to restore the stock OS once again. If you have questions or if you want to talk with us, use the comments area from below.