Samsung Galaxy Grand might not be the most appreciated Android based smartphone from the market, but those who want to improve its performances, should always apply the latest updates. Well, Samsung just released a new Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OTA update, dubbed as XXAMCD, for the Galaxy Grand – the firmware has been rolled out in India – so if you haven’t received the software until now, or if you want to manually flash the same, then follow and complete this tutorial. Take note that the stock JB 4.1.2 XXAMCD OS can be installed only on the Galaxy Grand model number I9082.
As mentioned the Android 4.1.2 XXAMCD firmware has been rolled out in India, but by using this step by step guide, you can apply the update on any Grand I9082 device. Anyway, the software is only a minor update and comes only to improve the previous version of the JB platform that is currently running on the Grand. Therefore, there won’t be added important features, apps or capabilities, the firmware being addressed only for resolving the issues and the reported bugs.
Even though this is the official JB update and not a custom ROM, you still have to prepare your phone before heading to the proper flashing operation. So, first of all, complete the pre requisites from below. Don’t skip this section as it is the most relevant one.
- You can apply this tutorial on both rooted and un-rooted Galaxy Grand; the root access though (if your handset has been rooted) will be revoked after installing the JB 4.1.2 XXAMCD OS.
- Therefore, the warranty of your device will not get void; furthermore, you can restore the same if your smartphone is currently running on a custom ROM software.
- Now, in case you will need to root your Grand, we have some suitable step by step guide for you; choose the one that you prefer the most: How to Root Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 using CWM Recovery; use a one-click root solution; or use a general root method.
- Also, if needed, you can easily install a custom recovery image on your phone by using the guide from here.
- Do remember that the root access and the custom recovery tool aren’t required for the present tutorial – here, Odin will be used, so you have nothing to worry about.
- Backup the Galaxy Grand data because your personal info might get corrupted. Use suitable backup and restore apps from Google Play and save everything that’s important to you.
- Ensure that a Windows running computer is near you; deactivate the security tools from both computer and smartphone.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device by going to path: “Settings -> More -> Development Options -> USB debugging”.
- Charge your Grand as it might get turned off in the middle of the update operation – charge it only if there is less than 60% power left, else you can skip this step.
- Install the Galaxy Grand drivers on your computer or else you won’t be able to complete this guide; use the Samsung KIES app (you can download the tool from here) for flashing the drivers.
- Do note that this tutorial is compatible only with the Grand model number I9082, so don’t use the next procedure for flashing the XXAMCD JB 4.1.2 firmware on a similar or different device.
How to Update Galaxy Grand I9082 to Official JB 4.1.2 XXAMCD Firmware
- Download Odin; then install and run the program.
- Download the update file – use this link. Then, unzip the downloaded file on your Desktop.
- Turn off your smartphone and reboot in download mode.
- For download mode: press and hold Power, Volume Down and Home buttons.
- Connect the Grand with the computer.
- On Odin the “added” message will be displayed and also the ID:COM section will be yellow or blue.
- From Odin select “PDA” and pick the update file.
- Click on “Start”.
- In the end the “pass” message will be displayed; you can safely unplug the USB cord and reboot your device.
- Sometimes, Odin gets stuck; if that happens, you need to unplug the USB cable, close Odin, force restart your phone, re-install the drivers on the computer and repeat the steps from the beginning.
- Also, you might notice that in the end, your Grand is stuck in a boot loop; in that case you need to reboot by pressing the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons. Once the recovery mode menu is being displayed, you need to select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”. Then, choose “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now” and you are done.
So that was all; the step by step guide has been successfully completed which means that you have updated your Samsung Galaxy Grand I9082 to Official Android JB 4.1.2 XXAMCD Firmware. Test the new software and see how it performs. Also, if possible share your experience and thoughts with us and with other users who might want to complete this guide.