The Indian users of the Galaxy Grand had received a new JB 4.1.2 OTA update for resolving the battery drain issues and for improving other features and capabilities that were included on the previous release of the Android system. Now, since the Indian Samsung Galaxy Grand is an unlocked smartphone – model number I9082 – the new and latest XXAMF2 update can be easily installed on any Grand that has the model number of I9082. Therefore, today we will be checking how to update your handset to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMF2 software.
As mentioned, the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXAMF2 OS has been released by Samsung for the Galaxy Grand for resolving the battery drain issues as more and more users had complained about the same. The Grand had received the JB treatment from a while now, but so far there have been reported numerous bugs; well now Samsung is stating that the XXAMF2 firmware will remove the problems and will improve the Jelly Bean system. So, do test the new update and flash the JB 4.1.2 OTA firmware on your Galaxy Grand I9082, because the software will smoothly run on your smartphone.
Now, if you are not Indian users, then you will not receive the firmware. Also, if you have a rooted device that is powered by a custom ROM software, you will not be able to apply the OTA OS. That’s why, if you still want to apply the stock Android system on your Galaxy Grand, a manual method must be performed and for offering a helping hand I have developed this step by step guide.
The best is that you will be able to apply this tutorial for both rooted and un-rooted devices as a manual update procedure can be used on locked and unchained handsets. Also, remember that this is an official operation – you will not install a custom ROM on your Grand, the JB 4.1.2 XXAMF2 firmware is the official release of the Android OS. Therefore, you don’t have to install a custom recovery image on your phone because on this guide Odin will be used instead.
Odin is a tool developed by Samsung and as you will see, the program can be easily used for applying an official update. Anyway, you still have to use a Windows running computer as Odin must be installed on the same. Then, for avoiding the unpleasant situations, you need to uninstall the security programs that are running on your computer and on your Galaxy Grand and you also have to charge the battery of you handset in case it has less than 60% power left.
Unfortunately, the Galaxy Grand data might get corrupted while flashing the JB 4.1.2 XXAMF2 Firmware via Odin, so I recommend you to backup the text messages, call logs, EFS, market apps, personal info and accounts first. In case your handset is rooted and installed with CWM recovery, you can use the custom recovery for performing a Nandroid backup – you will be able to save the current ROM.
Finally, on your device the USB debugging option must be checked – go and enable the option by following the path: “Settings -> More -> Development Options -> USB debugging”; remember to charge the battery (the phone might get turned off if you skip that) and to deactivate the security protection (the antivirus tools might interfere with the update operation). Also, remember to flash the stock Android 4.1.2 XXAMF2 update only on the Samsung Galaxy Grand model number I9082; this tutorial is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy Grand I9082 to Latest JB 4.1.2 XXAMF2 Firmware
- The Grand drivers must be installed on your computer; if the drivers are flashed then skip this step, if not use Samsung KIES.
- Odin must be installed on your PC; if not download the tool from here.
- Unzip, install and run Odin on your computer.
- Download the Android update file from here; unzip the package on the desktop.
- Turn off you phone, reboot in download mode and connect it with the computer (via USB cable).
- For download mode you need to press and hold the Power, Volume Down and Power buttons.
- On Odin, after connecting the devices, you will have to notice the “added” message and the ID:COM which should be yellow or blue.
- If not I recommend you to reinstall the drivers as Odin need to recognize your handset; else you can’t complete this tutorial.
- Next, you need to pick the update file for flashing the same.
- In order to do so, select “PDA” and select the Android OS from the desktop.
- Tap on “start” (on Odin don’t make any other changes).
- Wait while the software is being installed.
- When the process is done, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- Now, you will be able to unplug the USB cable as the update operation has been successfully completed.
There might be two issues: Odin might get stuck and your phone might get stuck in a boot loop. The first issue can be resolved by closing the program, unplugging the USB cord, force-restarting your phone, re-installing the drivers and re-applying the steps from the update operation.
For the second problem you need to reboot into recovery mode (for recovery press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home buttons) and by using the recovery mode menu you will have to select: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Up next, return to the main menu of recovery and reboot your device (select “reboot system now”).
Congratulations, you have successfully installed the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMF2 update on your Samsung Galaxy Grand I9082 handset. If there were problems (other than the already explained ones) use the comments area from below and share the same with us. We will assist you in the shortest time possible.