The lasts version of Android for the Samsung Galaxy Grand is here, so as usual, we will be checking on how to manually update your phone with the same. The Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXAMD6 firmware had just been released by Samsung for the Galaxy Grand users, but if you haven’t OTA received the OS, or if you need to manually flash the ROM (due to your own reasons) then I recommend you to follow the present guide as it will easily take you through the update operation. Also, all the info related to the flashing procedure are being explained and detailed below, so you are in safe hands.
The Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMD6 ROM is the latest official update rolled out by Samsung for the Galaxy Grand which means that the present firmware is stable and without bugs. Also, the software is coming with the latest features and apps available for your device therefore if you want to receive the best and the most stable variant of Jelly Bean, then you need to apply the XXAMD6 OS on your Galaxy Grand I9082.
But why to do it manually? Well, usually when we are dealing with official updates the ROMs are being offered in phases meaning that not all the users will receive the platform at the same time. Furthermore, the stock software can be flashed only on locked devices, so if your Galaxy Grand is rooted or installed with a custom ROM, then you will not be able to Over the Air apply the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXAMD6 OS, a manual update procedure being required instead.
Don’t worry though, as the method explained here will work on both rooted and un-rooted smartphones. Actually, if you do own a rooted handset, then after applying the next steps, the root access will be revoked. Also, the warranty will be restored (if it has been previously voided) as all the factory restrictions will be reinstalled and the stock Android OS will be flashed. So, the first thing to mention is: the warranty of your device will not be affected by performing this tutorial.
Furthermore, you don’t need to install a custom recovery image as this operation will be completed by using Odin. Odin is a dedicated program designed by Samsung especially for these types of procedures, so you have nothing to worry about. In order to describe the flashing method that will follow, here is what you will have to do: install Odin on a computer, download the update file and flash the same on your Galaxy Grand through Odin. That’s easy, but first you need to complete the rest of the lines from below.
As mentioned a Windows running computer, your phone and its USB cord are being required. Next, on both computer and smartphone there shouldn’t be any security tools installed. Also, your phone must have enough battery life left or else it will get turned off in the middle of the update operation (if there is less than 60% power left, plug in the charger). Go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and enable the USB debugging option. Do remember that this guide is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Grand model number I9082; don’t use this tutorial for applying the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXAMD6 OS on a different device.
Finally, just before starting the flashing process you need to backup the Grand data. Even though we are using Odin (it is unlikely to lose your data while flashing a ROM through Odin) bad things can still happen, so in order to avoid the unpleasant situations I recommend you to save your contacts, call logs, EFS, internet settings, market apps, text messages and everything else you might need afterwards.
How to Update Galaxy Grand I9082 to stock Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXAMD6 Firmware
- First of all, on your computer the Galaxy Grand drivers must be installed; if not download and install Samsung KIES and then flash the proper drivers.
- Next, download and install Odin.
- Also, open Odin on your computer.
- Of course, you need to get the firmware file too; so go here and download the same.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot in download mode: press and hold Power, Volume Down and Home buttons.
- Connect the handset with the computer via USB cable.
- On Odin you should notice: the “added” message is displayed and the ID:COM section is yellow or blue.
- If not you need to: unplug the USB cable; close Odin; reinstall the drivers; repeat the steps from above.
- On the other hand, if everything is working as explained, you need to: select “PDA” from Odin; pick the update file; don’t make any other changes; leave the Re-partition box unchecked.
- Click on “start” and the installation procedure will begin.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- You can safely reboot your phone and unplug the USB cord as you are done.
- Note: in some cases Odin might get stuck; if so, just follow: close Odin, unplug the USB cable, force restart your Grand, reinstall the drivers on the computer, open Odin, repeat the update operation from the beginning.
- Note 2: also, in rare cases, in the end, your phone might get stuck in a boot loop; well if so, you need to: reboot your Grand into recovery mode (press and hold Power, Volume Up, Home buttons at the same time); from there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition (this is why the backup is recommended); choose “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
Congratulation, your Samsung galaxy Grand has been successfully updated to latest and official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXAMD6 Firmware. If you don’t like the software you can anytime choose to flash a custom ROM on your phone, but you will first have to root and install custom recovery image on your handset; use our suitable guides for succeeding with the same. Well, that was all for today; use the comments section if you have questions or if you just want to talk with us.