The latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update is now live for all the Galaxy J7 Prime smartphones. Check the instructions listed in this post in order to learn how to successfully setup the new update manually using ODIN app.
The new update brings security patches, some new small features and a whole lot of improvements that should make the Marshmallow OS run faster and smoother than before.
Before starting the flashing process you need to check the following guidelines:
- use this tutorial only with the Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime.
– the model number of your device needs to be the SM – J610F.
– check the version of your device under Settings> About Device section.
- download Samsung USB drivers from here and install them on your computer.
– the usb drivers are needed by your PC, so that it will recognize the phone when these two are connected.
- you need to enable USB Debugging from the phone’s Developer Options menu.
– the Developer Options might be hidden which is why you have to unhide it by going to Settings> About Phone and tapping seven times on the Build Number section.
– return to Settings, scroll down and you will find Developer Options listed there.
- for the updating process you will use the Odin app, and Odin requires the above usb drivers to be installed and for the USB Debugging option to be enabled.
- if you flash the new update over rooted firmware, then you need to know that root access won’t survive the update.
– any custom Recovery that you might have installed is going to be replaced with a stock Recovery image.
- by installing the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow over a custom ROM, then you will need to know that a Factory Reset process has to be applied after the update is done installing.
– the Factory Reset process wipes clean the system partition, it doesn’t delete any data from internal storage, and it will force your phone to boot in normal mode.
– the Factory Reset steps are listed at the end of this post.
– apply the Factory Reset only in case the official Android 6.o.1 update is installed over custom ROMs.
- if your Galaxy J7 Prime phone runs 100% stock Android firmware, then you can continue straight to the next part of this process right away, as no data will be lost.
- this is a guide for advanced users, we cannot be held responsible in case you brick your device nor in case you lose any important data files in the process.
- check the whole tutorial first and do not skip any steps.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Official Update for Galaxy J7 Prime:
- Download the Android 6.0.1 MM firmware archive from here.
- When the download is done you can unzip the Marshmallow installation files.
– after the extraction is done you will obtain the G610FDDU1APHD tar.md5 firmware update file.
– do not unzip the tar.md5 archive, as that is the file you have to place in ODIN and install.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 from here.
– unzip the Odin files on your PC, too.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot the Galaxy J7 Prime in Download Mode.
– it can be done by pressing Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
– release the buttons when a warning screen loads on your device, then press Volume Up to confirm Download Mode boot.
- Launch Odin exe on your PC.
- Now connect the phone to computer via usb cable.
– wait for ODIN to add the device, then continue to the next step.
– if the phone is not detected you need to reinstall the Samsung USB drivers once more.
- Get to ODIN’s main screen and tap the AP button.
- Now, find and load the G610FDDU1APHD tar.md5 firmware update file in ODIN.
- Confirm Android 6.0.1 Update process by pressing START button.
– do not press any buttons until all the new files are done installing.
- Reboot the phone in normal mode after the update is done installing.
- Unplug the phone from PC and then use your default login info to unlock your device.
These were the steps that you had to take in order to complete Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for your Galaxy J7 Prime phone.
If the installation was successful you can close this post and start testing all the new Marshmallow features.
If you’ve encountered any roadblocks, then you can check the extra notes below.
If the FAIL alert is displayed by ODIN you will be forced to repeat the whole tutorial more than once. If you repeat installation you need to make sure that your phone meets all requirements and that you won’t be skipping any steps listed above.
If the PASS message is shown in ODIN, but your Galaxy J7 Prime is unable to go past boot animation screen or it enters in a boot loop, then you are forced to Factory Reset the device.
The Factory Reset steps are listed below, and these need to be applied by those that have installed the Android 6.0.1 update over a custom ROM, too, as otherwise their phone won’t boot in normal mode.
Here’s how to factory reset the Galaxy J7 Prime in case Android 6.0.1 MM update fails to boot:
- power off the phone.
- boot it in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
- confirm process.
- reboot device in normal mode.
If you need more help completing the guide, then you can tell us in comments.