Even though Android 4.3 Jelly Bean is highly expected by the Galaxy Mega 6.3 users, Samsung just rolled out a new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OTA update for the same phablet (actually only for the LTE I9205 variant of the device). The firmware, which is dubbed as XXUAMH1, comes with minor improvements so don’t expect to see new features or capabilities included on the platform. The best is that Android 4.2.2 XXUAMH1 OS for LTE Galaxy Mega 6.3 is stable, comes with no issues and also brings bug fixes for resolving the reported problems from the previous version of the Android system.
Since we are talking about an OTA release, the XXUAMH1 firmware will be offered in phases or gradually and in limited markets only. So, if you haven’t received the notification so far, if you want to manually apply the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 software, or if you have a rooted Galaxy Mega 6.3, this step by step guide will be more than useful for you. During the following lines I will show you how to easily and manually install latest and official JB 4.2.2 XXUAMH1 OS on your Mega 6.3, so use this tutorial and the guidelines from below only if the OTA isn’t available for you.
For this guide Odin will be used which means you don’t have to deal with complicated, risky and complex pre requisites like gaining root access, unlocking the bootloader or installing a custom recovery image. Those operations are used only when flashing custom ROMs, but that’s not our case. Odin is a dedicated app developed by Samsung (you can use the program only if you have a Samsung branded smartphone or tablet) and used especially for update operations therefore you have nothing to worry about, you are in good hands.
As mentioned, root access and a custom recovery image aren’t required for being able to update Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9205 to official JB 4.2.2 XXUAMH1 firmware. Anyway, the tutorial will work for both rooted and un-rooted phablets. Furthermore, if your device comes with a rooted system, or if you have installed a custom ROM for overclocking the CPU, now you will be able to restore the warranty and revoke the root access. Also, the default Android Jelly Bean OS will be flashed meaning that you will receive the stock features and looks once more. As mentioned, the XXUAMH1 platform is stable and will smoothly run on your LTE Mega 6.3.
In order to make things right, before heading to the steps from the proper tutorial, ensure the following:
- A Windows running computer or notebook must be used, so make sure you can access the same device – Odin can be installed only on Windows based computers.
- On your computer the Galaxy Mega 6.3 drivers must be installed; if not flash the drivers via Samsung KIES – else Odin will not recognize your handset.
- Also, on the computer you need to deactivate the antivirus and antimalware protection. Furthermore it is recommended to deactivate any other security protection that is left – the security programs might interfere with the update process and we don’t want that to happen.
- Then, on the other hand, on your phablet you need to enable the USB debugging option from here: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” – else you will not be able to properly connect the phone with the computer.
- The same smartphone should have more than 60% battery power left; if not charge the battery before starting to install the JB 4.2.2 XXUAMH1 firmware – if your phablet gets turned off in the middle of the flashing operation, your device might get bricked out.
Another thing to take care of is a backup. Even though it is unlikely to lose something while using Odin, in rare cases the data which is saved on the internal storage memory might get corrupted or even wiped out. Therefore, the best will be to avoid the unpleasant situations as we are talking about your personal info and accounts. So, complete a backup (get backup and restore apps from Google Play) for saving the EFS folder, market apps, contacts list and everything else you need.
Finally, be sure to apply the next steps only for the LTE model of the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3, which comes with the model number of I9205. The official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMH1 firmware has been released only for the mentioned device, so that’s why this tutorial is being compatible only with the same.
How to Update Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9205 to Official JB 4.2.2 XXUAMH1 Firmware
- Remember to use Samsung KIES for installing the Mega 6.3 drivers on your computer.
- Then, download Odin.
- Unzip and install Odin on your computer and in the end run the program.
- From here download the update file and place the same on desktop.
- Extract the firmware file and then turn off your phablet.
- Wait a few seconds; then press on power, volume down and home buttons together.
- Download mode should be displayed.
- Connect your handset with the computer – use official USB cable for establishing the connection. Odin must be running on the computer.
- Once both devices connected, on Odin you will see the “added” message displayed and the ID:COM section which will be yellow or blue.
- If not, it means that your Mega 6.3 hasn’t been recognized by Odin. So, reinstall the drivers on your computer and repeat the steps from above.
- Up next, from Odin select “pda”.
- Select the update file from desktop.
- The repartition option and the f.reset time section should be unchecked – also don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Just click on “start”.
- Now the JB 4.2.2 XXUAMH1 software will be installed on your Galaxy Mega 6.3.
- Wait while the flashing process is still running.
- In the end, if everything went as expected, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed while the ID:COM section will be green.
- Unplug the USB cable and reboot your handset.
Do note that in case your smartphone gets stuck in a boot loop (the first boot will take longer than usual but that doesn’t mean that there is something wrong with it) you will have to: reboot by pressing volume up, home and power buttons; from recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”; choose “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Also, if Odin gets stuck while you are trying to apply one of the steps from above, you need to: close the program, disconnect the device from the computer, reinstall the drivers on the PC, force-restart your Mega 6.3 and repeat the steps from the beginning.
That’s it; now you know how to manually update the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9205 to Official JB 4.2.2 XXUAMH1 Firmware. If you have experienced any other problems use the comments area from below for sharing the same, or use our dedicated step by step guide for learning how to resolve the most common Android issues. Also, do test the software and share your results and impressions with us or with other users who might need or want to use the above explained tutorial.