Scheduled for a June release, the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS for Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 had already made its debut. So, it seems that Samsung is moving fast trying to provide KitKat updates for various smartphones and tablets (the Note 10.1 N8000 and the 2014 edition of the Note 10.1 already received the KitKat OTA). Thus, if interested, you can now manually update your Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 I9200 to official Android 4.4.2 XXUDNE4 KitKat firmware, the installation process being explained and detailed during the following guidelines, so don’t hesitate and check the same.
The XXUDNE4 firmware for Galaxy Mega 6.3 has been OTA rolled out in Russia later today and the same update will be soon made available in other markets and regions. Therefore, for now the Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS is being offered in phases which mean that not all the Mega 6.3 will receive it at the same time. This is a reason why you should follow and complete this tutorial – skip the wait and enjoy the latest version of Android now, by manually flashing the OTA firmware. Also, the manual update procedure is recommended for those who have rooted their devices as in that case the OTA will not be spotted.
Anyway, if you rather wait for the official roll out, do note that you will have to use a WiFi connection for downloading the OS (this is recommended); the update can be checked from path “menu – settings – about phone – software update”. But, if you choose the manual operation, read the guidelines from below, be careful when applying the proper steps and enjoy the official Android 4.4.2 XXUDNE4 KitKat OS on your Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 model number I9200.
On the flashing process Odin will be used. As you probably now, Odin represents an official program that is provided by Samsung. Odin can be used only on Samsung branded devices and ensures a safe and quick update operation. Also, this guide is official as we will be using the OTA ROM even if the same will be manually installed – you are not dealing with a custom ROM that is based on the official Android OS. Therefore the warranty of your smartphone will not get void by completing this step by step guide and you are not risking in bricking your phone by doing the same.
It’s important to know that you can apply the stock Android OS on a rooted and also on a locked Mega 6.3; but if your phone is rooted, after completing this guide the root access will be revoked – you can regain root access afterwards but by applying a root procedure that is compatible with the new XXUDNE4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware (or else you can end up in bricking your Android device).
Moreover, a backup is recommended before doing anything else. It is unlikely to lose something while using Odin, but in rare situations you might end up in losing the data which is saved on the internal storage memory of your smartphone – due to same reasons, the backup should be a must. In that matter you can use compatible apps from Google Play and you can save your contacts list, call logs, market apps, EFS folder, internet settings, text messages and personal data, info and accounts.
Since this is a manual update operation, for properly completing the installation process, you first have to take care of the tasks that are being described below:
- Odin can be installed only on Windows; so make sure that you can use a Windows running computer, or notebook; also your Galaxy Mega 6.3 should be near you as you will have to establish a connection between your devices.
- On your phone USB debugging option must be checked and you can do it by going to “menu – settings – developer options”.
- On your computer you need to temporarily deactivate the security, including antivirus and antimalware, protection.
- Again, on your phone you need to check the battery status as if there is less than 50% power left you first need to plug in the USB cable – your smartphone might get bricked in case it gets turned off in the middle of the flashing process.
- Install XXUDNE4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS by using this tutorial only if you own the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 model number I9200 – the update has been released only for the mentioned phone (only in Russia for now).
Update Galaxy Mega 6.3 to Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat Firmware
- The first thing to do is to download the required files; so download Odin, the update file from here and Samsung KIES if on your computer you don’t have the Galaxy Mega 6.3 drivers.
- Now, unzip Odin and the firmware package – preferable on desktop.
- Install, by using Samsung KIES, your drivers on your PC and then install Odin by following the on-screen prompts.
- Turn off your device and enter it in download mode; download mode can be reached by pressing and holding power, volume down and home buttons at the same time, for a few seconds.
- Run Odin on your computer.
- Plug in the USB cable and connect your devices; in the end take a look on Odin where now the “added” message should be displayed and where the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue.
- From Odin you should then select the “PA” option; from the window that will be displayed search for the update file and pick the same.
- Don’t change anything else and in the end click on “start”.
- Now your Galaxy Mega 6.3 will be updated to Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS – the “pass” message will be displayed in the end – you can then unplug the USB cord and reboot your smartphone.
In some cases Odin might get stuck; if you are experiencing this situation, then close the program and remove the USB cable. Then force restart your Galaxy Mega 6.3 and reinstall the drivers on your computer. Finally try to re-apply all the steps from above.
Also, in the end your device might get stuck in a boot loop; in that case you need to enter recovery mode and from there you need to select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
That’s all for today, so congratulations; you know how to manually update your Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 to official or stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS. Do share your experience with us by using the comments field from below.