Do you want to update your Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 with CM11 custom ROM firmware? CM11 has been made available for the Mega 6.3 from a while now, but so far all the updates were buggy and with various problems. Anyway, now we have a stable Android 4.4.2 KitKat CM11 OS provided for the Galaxy Mega 6.3 devices, so you might want to experience the same. In order to do so, don’t hesitate and complete the present step by step guide which will easily take you through the installation procedure of this custom ROM.
CyanogenMod is one of the best and most popular Android based custom ROM that is available on the market. Currently, CM11 is based on stock Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware and comes with great features, apps and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system. Therefore, by installing CM11 on Galaxy Mega 6.3 you will be able to personalize, customize, optimize and power up the performances and the looks of your device. Furthermore, CM11 will smoothly run on your smartphone as this version of the firmware is stable and without lags or other reported issues.
So, in order to conclude the up mentioned info, it should be clear for you that CM11 represents a free aftermarket distribution of Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS. The update is a custom ROM and not an official Android software, so the same has nothing to do with Samsung or Google and mainly that’s why the platform is coming with extra features and capabilities. Now, installing or updating CM11 on your Galaxy Mega 6.3 is easy as the flashing process will only take a few minutes from your time. Of course, in order to make things right, read, follow and apply all the guidelines that are being explained during this step by step guide.
Since we are dealing with a custom ROM, by flashing CM11 on your Galaxy Mega 6.3 you will lose the warranty of your device. This is happening because root access is being required – you cannot complete this tutorial unless you previously root your phone (skip the root process if you have already performed the same operation). Moreover, after gaining root access, installing a custom recovery image, such as CWM recovery or TWRP recovery, is a must – the update will be applied by using the same. Now, both operations are unofficial and by performing the same the warranty of your Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 will get void.
As you will see during the proper steps, in order to safely flash CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM on your smartphone, first you will have to wipe the internal system of your Mega 6.3. Due to same reasons a backup is more than recommended – without making a backup you will lose everything that’s save don the internal storage memory of your phone. The backup can be easily completed by using compatible tools from Google Play – by using the same you can save your contacts list, call logs, text messages, market apps, EFS folder, internet settings and your personal data, info and accounts. In the end, use the custom recovery image you have flashed before and make a Nandroid backup for saving your current ROM – if CM11 isn’t on your taste you can then easily restore your saved firmware.
Since this is a manual update operation, before heading to the installation steps from below, ensure the following things:
- A computer must be used, while your Galaxy Mega 6.3 and its USB cord should also be near you – a connection between these devices will be established.
- On your phone, from “menu – settings – developer options” the USB debugging option must be checked – else you will not be able to properly connect your devices.
- On your computer all the security programs must be temporarily deactivated – else you might have problems while downloading the required files on your computer.
- You need to charge your smartphone before doing anything else, especially if the power is less than 50% – if your Mega 6.3 gets turned off in the middle of the update operation, it might also get bricked (learn how to fix your bricked Android device in that matter).
- This tutorial is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 – don’t install CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM by using the steps from below if you are using a different or similar Android based smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy Mega 6.3 with CM11 KitKat 4.4.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer download the CM11 ROM from here and the Google Apps package from here (Google Apps are not included on the update file so you will have to install the same separately).
- Don’t unzip the files, just place them on your computer – preferable on your desktop.
- Connect your Mega 6.3 with your computer by plugging in the USB cable.
- Then transfer the downloaded files from desktop to your phone’s SD card and in the end, remove the USB cord.
- Turn off your phone and enter recovery mode on your Android device.
- From recovery perform the wipe by selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery and select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware and flash the same; then repeat that process and install Google Apps package.
- In the end, go back to recovery and select “reboot system now”.
- In case your smartphone gets stuck in a boot loop, go back to recovery and do the wipe once more.
Good job; you have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 with CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat custom ROM software. So, not test the new firmware and see how it performs and check if there are bugs, or if everything is running as expected or now. Of course, share your results and your thoughts with us and with our readers by using the comments field from below.