Update Galaxy Nexus i9250 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean with KALO Custom ROM
The Android 4.2.1 OTA update has been released, but it seems that not all the Android users are receiving the December bug-fix update as planned. So, if you own the Samsung Galaxy Nexus model number GT-I9250 and if you haven’t received the Jelly Bean OTA update yet, then I recommend you to flash the KALO custom ROM firmware on your smartphone. The software is being based on pure AOSP code, not to mention that it is also rooted and deodexed, and will perfectly run on your Galaxy Nexus device.
Therefore, if you want to receive the pure Android 4.2.1 flavor without waiting for the official update to come, this step by step guide is all you need. Below I have tried to show you which is the easiest way that can be applied for installing the latest Jelly Bean OS on your Galaxy Nexus I9250, so don’t hesitate and take a look over the same. As I have already mentioned before, we will be checking in how to install the AOSP based KALO custom ROM, meaning that this is not an official software provided by Samsung for your handset.
Actually, the ROM has been developed and tested on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus by those from xda-developers, so thanks to them we are now capable to install the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update (the December bug-fix) on the Nexus, flashing the KALO ROM being all that we have to do. Remember that the software is being based on the pure AOSP code and the firmware is rooted and deodexed. The only modification made on this upgrade consists in removing the stock recovery therefore you will be able to enjoy the default and pure Android OS even though you will not be applying the official OTA update.
Well, before starting the proper steps, you need to resume the tutorial with the pre requisites. The list from below must be completed before installing the update or else you will risk in bricking your Galaxy nexus.
- Backup the Nexus data; a wipe of the system will be required so all of your personal info will be wiped out. That’s why you have to previously save the messages, contacts, internet settings, EFS, market apps and everything else you need to.
- The Nexus must be rooted and the bootoalder must be unlocked. You must perform these operations because the ROM will need to access some internal files from your phone and for that the system must be unchained.
- By applying the above step you will void the warranty of your device. Unfortunately we can’t avoid this; don’t worry though, as you can restore the warranty by updating the Galaxy Nexus with an official software provided by Samsung.
- Also, after rooting you need to install a custom recovery image on your smartphone; this tool is extremely important because without it you will not be able to complete the guide.
- Next, you need to enable the USB debugging option on your Nexus, or else you will notice that the phone can’t be properly connected with the computer you will use.
- Also, deactivate the antivirus protection from your handset and computer because these programs are usually interfering with the update process.
- It is a good idea to charge the battery before starting the flashing operation; else you will risk in bricking your Nexus (in case it get turned off in the middle of the update).
- Do not apply this guide if you own a similar smartphone with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus model number GT-I9250 because the KALO Android 4.2.1 ROM will work only on the mentioned phone.
How to Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean with KALO Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer use the link from here and download the update file.
- The package comes with Google apps too, so you don’t have to download the same separately.
- Now, connect your smartphone with the computer via USB cable.
- Copy-paste the downloaded package from the PC to your phone.
- Turn off the Nexus.
- Boot it in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons. The fastboot mode will be displayed; from there just choose “recovery”.
- From the recovery menu select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then return to the main menu and select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Just pick the update file you have placed on your phone before and start the update process.
- When the installation procedure is over select “+++go back+++” and reboot system now”.
You are now done. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus has been updated to Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS, as the pure AOSP based (rooted and deodexed) KALO Custom ROM Firmware has been successfully installed. Stay close for further tutorials, news and Android related tips and tricks.