The Galaxy Nexus I9250 users have all the reasons for getting excited as new custom ROMs are being released for their smartphones. So, if yesterday I have showed you how to update your phone to Android 4.1.2 with the KALO firmware, now we will be checking in how to flash another software on the same Galaxy Nexus. This time you can choose to install the Android 4.2 based Rasbeanjelly custom update, the proper tutorial being explained below. The present operation is considered risky therefore make sure that you are reading all the following lines, don’t head straight to the update process.
It should be clear for you that this is not an official OS offered by Samsung for your Galaxy Nexus I9250 meaning that you cannot OTA, or by using KIES apply the firmware on your smartphone. You will have to perform a manual procedure that will take you through the installation procedure. The Jelly Bean 4.2 powered Rasbeanjelly custom ROM has been developed and tested on the Galaxy Nexus by those of xda-developers, so of you want to learn more about the same use this link.
As usual, when you have to install a custom OS, you must first prepare your device for the update operation that will follow. It’s important to apply all the steps presented in this step by step guide, or else you will end up in bricking your Nexus. Be aware as by completing this tutorial you will update your Galaxy Nexus with a customized and optimized Android platform, which is different from the default version of the Jelly Bean software. But we should get started, so pay attention and try not to mess things up.
- Start by performing a backup for saving all of your personal data which are being stored on your smartphone.
- It is recommended to save at least the current ROM because in this way you can be sure that, in the end, if you don’t like the Rasbeanjelly ROM you can easily restore the stock firmware.
- Then, you must unlock the Galaxy Nexus bootloader.
- Of course the next step to complete is the root one. As you might know a custom ROM can’t be flashed unless the root access is granted, so make sure that you own a rooted Galaxy Nexus I9250.
- The warranty will get void. If anything bad happens you will be by yourselves.
- For restoring the warranty downgrade the stock ROM or install the official Android Jelly Bean OS. You will revoke the root access and relock the bootloader but at least the warranty will be back.
- Install a custom recovery image (preferable CWM recovery) on your handset as this tool will be essential for us (more about how to use CWM recovery for updating your Nexus to Android 4.2 Rasbeanjelly ROM will be explained during the proper steps).
- A Windows powered computer should be near you; on the same deactivate all the security options and programs. Do the same on your phone because these tools are usually interrupting the update operation.
- For being able to properly connect your device with the PC, you need to enable the USB debugging option from your phone’s settings.
- Also, if the handset has less than 60% power left it might get turned off in the middle of the installation process (and you will risk in bricking your Nexus), so charge the battery first.
- Apply the next steps only if you want to flash the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Rasbeanjelly custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus model number I9250 as the software will work only on the mentioned device.
How to Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 with Android 4.2 Rasbeanjelly Custom ROM Firmware
- First of all, you should download the update on your computer.
- Use this link.
- Don’t worry the package has Google Apps included, meaning that you don’t have to download the same separately.
- Connect the Nexus with the PC via USB cable.
- And copy (drag and drop) the downloaded file from the computer to your phone.
- You can unplug the USB cord and also turn off the device.
- Up next, reboot your smartphone in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode menu can be entered by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until Fastboot Mode is being displayed; from there just select “recovery”.
- Once the recovery mode menu si being displayed you need to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the main menu: “+++go back+++”.
- And then select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- You can now pick the “rascarlo_maguro-ota-2012-11-28.zip” file.
- Start the fhalsing process and don’t make any other changes in recovery.
- When the update operation is over, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
You are done as the tutorial has been completed. Now the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 is running the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean based Rasbeanjelly Custom ROM Firmware. According to our sources, the software is a stable one with now reported bugs or issues, but test it and share your impressions with us and with other users who might want to apply this guide. Also, stay close as we will bring more custom ROMs updates for your Galaxy Nexus handset.