Galaxy Nexus I9250 can now be updated to a stable custom Android 4.4.4 build using the latest M8 CyanogenMod 11 Snapshot ROM.
Read the whole article if you want to learn how to successfully install this ROM on your phone. This is the first stable build of CM 11 that’s based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat and if you’re a fan on CyanogenMod team ROMs then you should install this snapshot milestone build instead on the Nightlies.
Read the guidelines below before starting the updating process:
- install this CM 11 M8 Snapshot ROM only for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM model number I9250.
– check your device’s model number under Settings> About Phone.
– if the I9250 model version is not listed then you should close this guide.
– do not attempt to install this new ROM on any other Android device.
- use this guide only if your phone is rooted and it’s running a custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP.
- in the ‘how-to’ part of this post you will find two additional steps: one tells you to apply a NANDROID ROM Backup and another to apply the ‘factory reset’ for your phone.
– by creating a NANDROID Backup file of the installed ROM you will set a restore point, this will allow you to repair your device in case the newly installed CM 11 M8 build doesn’t boot correctly.
– ‘factory reset’ is required if you want to get rid of all the files installed by the currently installed ROM.
- in case you wish to save some data from installed apps, SMS text messages or any other file, then you can Helium app.
– also, make sure to sync Contacts and People details with your default Gmail account.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- read the whole guide and don’t skip any steps if you want to install the new ROM at your first attempt.
- note that this guide has to be applied by advanced users, do not blame us if you brick the phone nor in case you end up losing any data files.
- check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent it from switching off in the middle of the installation.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can now continue to the next part of this post.
Note that this new ROM is based on the latest KitKat 4.4.4 build and it might not be very battery-friendly, so you might get only a couple of hours of extensive usage out of your device after installation.
How to flash CM 11 M8 Android 4.4.4 ROM for Galaxy Nexus I9250:
- Download the CM 11 M8 Snapshot zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Android 4.4.x custom ROMs from here.
- Connect your phone with your PC and copy both zip files to your smartphone’s internal storage.
– don’t unzip these files.
– if you’ve used your phone to download these files then you can ignore this file.
- Power off the phone and make sure that it is not connected to your phone.
- Boot your Galaxy Nexus phone in Recovery Mode.
- First thing that you need to do is to create a full NANDROID Backup for the already installed ROM:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press backup, swipe to confirm.
– don’t skip this step.
- Apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’.
– TWRP: use the Wipe option.
– confirm the factory reset and then continue to the next step.
- Start the installation process of CM 11 M8 Snapshot ROM for your Galaxy Nexus I9250:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
- Find the CM 11 M8 Snapshot zip and confirm the installation.
– do not press any buttons until all the files are successfully installed.
- Install Gapps zip now using the same options as in step 8.
- Return to the main custom Recovery screen after all files installation.
- Reboot your phone in normal mode now.
– note that the first boot process might take at least ten minutes before all files are flashed.
- Use your login details in order to take control over CM 11 M8 ROM.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation.
If you need more help use the comments field. If the install fails you should try and repeat the process.