The Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 might not be supported by the latest Google updates, but you can still use custom ROMs in order to get the latest Android 4.4.4 firmware on your device.
This new build from Paranoid Android is based on AOSP Android 4.4.4 KitKat and it packs the same AOSP KitKat features as in stock ROMs as well as some additional PA-based functions that you can learn more about at their Google+ web page.
If you want to successfully install the brand new custom ROM on your smartphone then you will first require to take a look at the preparation info below:
- use this guide only with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250.
– don’t try to update any other Android device with the files that you will find in this post.
– check your device’s model number under Settings> About Phone.
- for this guide to work you will need to have a rooted Galaxy Nexus.
– also, your Galaxy Nexus has to feature a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP.
- in the tutorial you will find two extra steps: one to create a NANDROID ROM backup and another to apply the Factory Reset.
– do not skip this steps when you reach them.
- if you want to backup some data from installed apps, SMS text messages use the Helium tool for Android.
- sync all your Contacts and People info with your default Gmail account.
- check your device’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, this will prevent the Galaxy Nexus from switching off during installation.
- this post is for more advanced users who want to tinker with their phone’s OS, so you should only use it if you know how to use a custom Recovery and flash new files with it.
- read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and the update should be completed without problems.
- if you need any extra help, then you can use our comments field.
- do not blame us if you brick the phone nor in case you lose any important data files.
Get to the next part of this post if you want to learn how to update your device with a brand new PA 4.4 ROM build.
How to flash Paranoid Android 4.4 Final ROM for Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Download the PA 4.4 Maguro zip from here.
- Download Gapps for Paranoid Android ROMs from here.
- Copy these zip files to your phone’s internal sdcard.
– after the files are transferred you can disconnect the device from PC.
– if you’ve downloaded the files directly to your phone, then you can ignore this step.
- Power off the Galaxy Nexus now.
- Boot your phone in Recovery Mode.
- First you need to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup:
– CWM: select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm.
– TWRP: press Backup, swipe to confirm.
- Next you need to apply the Factory Reset:
– CWM: select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
– TWRP: press Wipe, swipe to confirm factory reset.
- Now you can finally install the ROM:
– CWM: select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– TWRP: press Install.
– find the PA 4.4 Maguro zip file and confirm its installation.
- When the ROM is installed you will need to use the same actions as in step 8 and flash Gapps zip, too.
- After you complete the installation of both files you should return to the main custom Recovery menu.
- Reboot the phone in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process takes a while to complete which is why you should wait until you see the home screen.
- Use your Google account info to log into your device.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to complete the installation.
If the process fails at your first attempt, then you should try to repeat the entire tutorial more than once. For extra help use the comments field below.