How to Update Galaxy Nexus to ICS AOKP build 40
After I have showed you how to update the HTC Droid Incredible 2 with the latest ICS based AOKP custom ROM firmware, now I will teach you how to do the same for the Galaxy Nexus handset. The built 40 is the latest software coming from AOKP, the ROM bringing many bug fixes and features in order to provide an improved Android 4.0 experience. As usual the first to test the firmware were those of xda-developers, so we have them to thanks for this method. Now, let’s see what you need to do for safely install the AOKP update on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
There are many updates available for the Galaxy Nexus, from custom ROMs, beta and unofficial firmware to official upgrades provided by Samsung, so take your time and check all of them before deciding in applying something on your Android based smartphone. Always try to find all that you can about a new firmware, from features, bug fixes to reported issues and try to choose the one that suits your expectations. So, for how to guides that can be applied on the Galaxy Nexus, search through our previous posts, or click here.
This version of the AOKP ROM will mostly bring the features which I have listed below. Of course, beside them you will get the classic interface, which is not the default ICS one, along with other enhancements designed to power up the performances of your Nexus. So, the battery life will be improved, the system optimized and customized, you will gain more speed, the RAM memory will be reorganized and a lot more. Getting a custom ROM is a must have especially for those who want to take full advantage over their smartphones.
Now that you know which are the advantages that come with the AOKP firmware is time to talk about other aspects. The first to start is the root detail. You cannot apply this update unless your Nexus is rooted and has a custom recovery image (like clockwork mod recovery) installed on its system. But when you will gain root access the warranty will get void. So, if you’re not comfortable with this aspect maybe it will be a better idea to stop here. Bad things can happen only if you are doing things by yourselves, but if you think that you are capable to mess things up, think twice before doing something. The warranty can be restored as soon as you apply an official update or the stock ROM.
Then, as this update isn’t provided by Samsung and has nothing to do with the mentioned company, during the installation procedure the data which is stored on your phone’s internal storage memory will be wiped out. So, a backup must be previously completed. In this way you can ensure that all of your personal info are in safe hands, not to mention that restoring the same is more than easy. For learning how to perform a safe and full backup I recommend you to follow our suitable guides.
Also, if you want to make sure that everything will go as planned, you should complete some preparation tasks. These operations are referring and are related to the computer you must use, to the USB cable and to your phone. Therefore, let’s see what you need to do:
- Charge the battery so that the phone will stay opened during the installation process.
- Enable the USB debugging option from your Galaxy Nexus: “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- If on your computer and handset you had installed security programs, temporarily uninstall them.
- Remember that you need to gain root access first.
- Also install a custom recovery image.
- Don’t forget to backup the data.
When you are done with the preparation tasks, you can begin the next section of this tutorial, which is also the last one and the one that interest us the most. You will have to complete some steps from where you will learn how to easily update your Galaxy Nexus with a custom ROM.
How to Update Galaxy Nexus to ICS AOKP build 40
- First of all you need to download the update file. Since there are several versions of the Galaxy Nexus you need to download the file that suits your phone. So, choose from the list below. Oh, you should also download the Google apps as it is not included in the update.
- Download link for GSM Galaxy Nexus here.
- Download link for Verizon Galaxy Nexus here.
- Download link for Sprint Galaxy Nexus here.
- Download link for Google apps here.
- Up next, connect the phone with the computer and copy the files downloaded before, from the PC to your smartphone.
- Then, on the computer open command prompt: Start -> run -> cmd.
- Enter the command: adb reboot bootloader.
- Now your Nexus should reboot in bootloader from where you should choose recovery mode.
- From the recovery mode menu select to do a full wipe by choosing “wipe data factory restrictions” and “wipe cache partition”.
- When done, return to the recovery menu.
- Then, select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”. Choose the update file and the Google apps.
- The installation process will now begin.
- Don’t press anything; just wait until it’s done.
- In the end from the recovery menu select “+++go back+++” in order to return to the recovery menu and then “reboot system now” for ending the procedure.
That was the how to procedure in which you could learn how to update your Samsung Galaxy Nexus by installing the latest ICS based AOKP custom ROM firmware. If somehow something isn’t working as it should, try to contact us as we will do our best in order to help you out.