Update Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.0 with Android Revolution HD Custom ROM Firmware
The Galaxy Nexus devices that are rooted can easily support new custom ROMs and the instructions listed in this post will help you install the latest Android Revolution HD custom ROM firmware.
Read all the info in this post and make sure to ask for help in case you cannot apply the new ROM. The Android Revolution HD device brings a new feel and multiple other tools and functions that should help you improve the overall performances of the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Android Revolution HD custom ROM is extremely fast and super stable and it runs on a stock 3.0.8 kernel. Make sure that you’re device has already been rooted and it it is GSM unlocked with fastboot. This new ROM will update your device to Android 4.0 and currently there aren’t any major bugs reported and it should run smoothly on your device.
Before we can begin to install this new firmware you will need to read the preparation guide and lean what you have to do so that the update will complete with success. Please note that we cannot be blamed in case your device gets bricked or you cannot apply the ICS firmware update. Here’s what you need to know:
- backup all your important files by copying the videos, pictures, text documents, pdf files, bookmarks etc. to your PC or moving them on your phone’s internal sdcard. The installation of this new ROM will require for you to wipe all phone data, which means that the only part left unchanged will be the internal and external storage cards.
- applications, sms text messages and call logs can be backed up using these three applications: AppBak for saving and restoring Android apps | SMS backup & restore | Call Logs backup & restore.
- sync all your phone contacts with your Google Mail account. Here’s a tutorial guide that you can use to learn how to use it.
- Enable USB debugging mode. You can find it in Settings then Developer options.
- Backup your APN and MMS Settings just in case you won’t be able to browse the web.
- Fully charge your phone battery, so that it won’t power OFF while updating the ROM.
- your device has to be rooted and CWM Recovery should be installed.
- this guide work only with GSM Galaxy Nexus devices. Do not attempt to install the custom ROM on other smartphones.
These were all the guidelines that I know of and now you should move to the ‘how-to’ guide and learn how to update your Gnex to Android 4.0 ICS. Remember that you’re installation this new firmware at your own risk as we cannot be held responsible in case something goes wrong and your device gets bricked during the firmware update.
How to update the Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.0 ICS using Android Revolution HD custom ROM firwmare:
- Download the ROM zip file from HERE. Save it on your computer and do not extract its contents.
- Download the Super Wipe tool from HERE. This is what you need to use in order to wipe the phone data.
- Move the firmware file and the super wipe utility on your phone’s internal sdcard.
- Power OFF your device and then boot it into recovery mode. It can be done by pressing ‘volume down’ + ‘volume up’ + ‘power’ buttons.
- When in recovery you should ‘select install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and navigate to the ‘super wipe’ tool. Confirm its actions and then return to the main recovery menu after the wipe is complete.
- Now, again select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and point to the Android Revolution HD ROM zip firmware.
- Confirm the installation. Wait until this process is complete and then reboot the phone.
- The first boot should take at least 5 minutes to complete and after that you can configure your Google Account.
In case the first boot takes too long to load, then you will need to remove the battery, re-insert it and after that you have to put the phone back into CWM recovery and repeat all the steps listed in the tutorial guide. If everything went according to plan you can start customizing the new custom ROM to suit your personal needs