The ParanoidAndroid is a custom ROM firmware that helps users of Galaxy Nexus to create a hybrid out of their device by transforming it into a tablet-phone gadget. In this post you will find all the steps you need in order to successfully install this new custom ROM on your Galaxy Nexus.
The Galaxy Nexus can easily be transformed in a great tablet/ phone hybrid with the PARANOIDANDROID custom ROM firmware and it should work smoothly especially because of the 1280×720 resolution screen and the 316 PPI. Installing it is easy as you simply install it the same way you would do with any other custom ROM firmware for Gnex.
The ParanoidAndroid ROM brings the tablet feel on your Galaxy Nexus phone along with a re-created Trebuchet launcher when you’re in tablet mode along with a smooth performance, fully functional android keyboard, a custom boot animation, Google Apps is 100% supported and it can be applied on GSM and CDMA Gnex models. Also, the source code is based on Cyanogenmod 9. After you install this new Android custom ROM you will get applications, menus, UI and all other parts will be displayed in tablet style. Mainly, this firmware will trick your Gnex to think that it is a tablet device. Before starting to apply the changes you will need to properly prepare your device for the installation process. Here’s what you need to do:
- you’re Gnex should be already rooted and CWM recovery has to be installed on it.
- backup all your important applications and files such as videos, music, pictures, documents and any other ones that you will need to use after the installation is complete. You can either transfer them on your computer or you can chose to move them on your phone’s SDcard.
- text messages can be saved using the SMS Backup & Restore, while your Call Logs can be saved with Call Logs Backup & Restore.
- Sync your phone’s contacts using this guide here, as it will teach you how to sync your Android contacts with your Gmail account.
- make sure that the device’s battery power levels are over 75% and this will prevent it from powering off while updating the ROM.
- enable USB debugging and make sure that you save your APN and MMS Settings, just in case you can’t connect to the internet after the update.
Now that you know all this info, it means that you can move to the tutorial guide and learn how to install this tablet / phone UI right on your Gnex phone.
How to install ParanoidAndroid ROM tablet / phone UI on Galaxy Nexus GSM / CDMA device:
- Download the ROM firmware zip file from here. Save the file on your PC.
- Download the Google Apps zip file from this guide here. Download the latest one that is based on CM9.
- Move the files on your phone’s SDcard and then power off the device.
- Now enter CWM recovery and wait for its main menu to load.
- Select ‘Wipe data/ factory reset’ and confirm actions. After this Wipe cache and move to the next step. Note: it might work without the Wipe, but this is normally recommended especially if you’re currently not coming from CM9-based ROM.
- Now, select ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then select ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
- Browse for the ParanoidAndroid.zip ROM firmware file and select it. Confirm the installation and then wait for the update to complete.
- After the ROM is installed you need to repeat step 6 only that now you will need to browse for the ‘gapps.zip’ file to install. Wait for this to install and then move back to the main recovery menu.
- Reboot the device and wait for the Galaxy Nexus to boot into new tablet / phone hybrid UI.
These were all the steps you had to take and now you should go to Settings> System, then open Font Size and choose ‘Huge’. Now you need to go to Settings> System> Statusbar and enable ‘Auto Hide’ to get fullscreen.
As you might’ve noticed, Nova launcher is set as default and you need to change some of its options. Go to Nova Settings and set ‘margins’ to SMALL, then go to ‘show permanent searchbar’ and set it to yes and do the same for ‘resize all widgets’. That’s it, now your Galaxy Nexus will look exactly like a tablet device, go ahead and test all of its functions and make sure to tell us your impressions about ParanoidAndroid ROM firmware.
If you’re unsatisfied with how this new ROM works on your Galaxy Nexus then you should restore your previous custom ROM firmware. Also, you can choose to search our website as you should find several other Gnex ICS custom ROMs.