After the Galaxy Note N7000 getting the OmniROM Kitkat Nightly, now the Galaxy Note 2 too can be update to Android 4.4 via OmniROM Nightlies. Read this post and you will learn how to successfully update your device with this brand new custom ROM.
Chainfire, Xplodwild, Dees_Troy along with numerous other contributors have started to work on releasing a brand new custom ROM that is based on AOSP Android 4.4 KitKat. This new ROM comprises all the stock KitKat features as well as some other elements created by the Omni team.
OmniROM brings the following new features besides the already present Android 4.4 KK components: non-obtrusive incoming call notification, multi-window, multi-workspace mode, per-app permissions control, DSP Managed enhancements, visual improvements added to the overall UI, flippable quick settings and tons of other small tweaks. More info can be found at OmniROM web page here.
Before starting the installation you need to read the guidelines below first:
- This guide works only with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model number N7100.
– do not attempt to flash this custom ROM file on any other Android device.
- Your Note 2 has to be rooted and running CWM Recovery image.
– make sure that the latest CWM Recovery version is installed, as otherwise you won’t be able to flash the ROM.
- Factory Reset is required for the installation of this new ROM, as otherwise the device might not boot in normal mode.
– the factory reset will wipe data from the system partition, while leaving the internal and external storage unaffected.
- Backup data from installed applications using the Helium utility — Google Play Store link here.
- Backup APN Internet Settings and SMS text messages using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore.
– root access is needed for some of these tools.
- Sync all Contacts data with your Gmail account with your default Gmail account.
– guide here for those that don’t know how to do it.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
- You have to create a full NANDROID ROM Backup for the OS that is currently installed on your device.
– this will set a restore point for your device, it can be used in case the new OmniROM KitKat doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and remember that this is a guide that should be applied by advanced Android users.
- Note that we cannot be held responsible in case you brick the phone or lose any important data in the process.
- Check the phone’s battery charge level and make sure that it is over 50%, so that the phone won’t switch off in the middle of the installation process.
These were all the guidelines you had to go over, now you can continue to the next part and learn how to update your device with a custom KitKat custom ROM. Use the comments section if you need extra help.
How to flash OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly for Galaxy Note 2 N7100:
- Download the custom ROM zip from here.
– make sure that you download the latest OmniROM KK build.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- Connect your device with your computer and then move both zip files on your phone’s internal storage.
– after the files are copied, disconnect the Note 2 from your PC.
– do not unzip the archived contents.
- Power off your smartphone.
- Boot the device in CWM Recovery mode.
– it can be done by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power.
– release the buttons only when the custom Recovery menu appears.
- Create a full NANDROID ROM Backup of your currently installed ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’, name the file and confirm the process.
- Now you can apply the Factory Reset for your device.
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’. Confirm.
> you can skip this step only in case your device already runs on a previous OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightly build.
> if you skip the step and the device doesn’t boot in normal mode, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial.
- Next, flash the custom ROM.
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ option and find the OmniROM Nightly KitKat build.
> wait until the process is complete.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 8 and flash the Gapps zip too.
- After both zip files are flashed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Now you can finally reboot your device in normal mode.
– select ‘reboot system now’ and wait until the home screen appears.
> in case the first boot process takes more than ten minutes to complete, the device enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial as the installation was not applied.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen of OmniROM KitKat Nightly appears.
– take control and start testing all the new features and functions that were added by this installation.
I hope that you did manage to complete the tutorial and that your Note 2 N7100 is currently running the latest build of OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies. If you cannot complete the tutorial, then you should ask for more help in comments and we will try to come up with solutions.
In case you don’t like this new ROM, then you can use the NANDROID ROM Backup file and the custom Recovery Mode to restore your Galaxy Note 2 to its previous working state.