Update AT&T Galaxy Note 2 to Android 4.2.2 with AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly Custom ROM
If you want to update your Galaxy Note 2 LTE SGH-I317 with a powerful custom ROM firmware, then the new version of AOKP, JB-MR1 nightly, will be just perfect for you. The software is based on stock Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS and comes with important features, tools and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system. Therefore, do test the AOKP JB-MR1 nightly ROM on your AT&T Galaxy Note 2 if you want to experience a new and improved Android flavor.
If you choose to follow and complete this tutorial, here is what you get: some general and relevant aspects related to the custom ROMs platforms, basically info about the features that will be added to your Galaxy Note 2, the essential pre requisites list that must be used for preparing the phablet for the update procedure that will follow and finally, the proper flashing procedure which will easily show you how to apply the AOKP JB-MR1 nightly custom ROM. So, all the details needed are being explained during the following lines; don’t hesitate and check the same.
A custom ROM is not an official update, so this operation has nothing to do with Samsung or Google. AOKP is a firmware developed by third party devs, so you are dealing with an unofficial port of the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS. That’s why the Android 4.2.2 based AOKP JB-MR1 firmware can only be manually installed on your AT&T Galaxy Note 2; furthermore don’t perform things by yourselves as this step by step guide is being considered risky – if you make something wrong then you can end up in bricking your smartphone. So, read and apply the lines explained in this tutorial and everything will be fine.
Now, this is the latest release of AOKP, which means that new and important features have been added to the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 platform. The ROM is stable, comes with no bugs or issues and will smoothly run on your Galaxy Note 2 LTE SGH-I317. In order to offer a background view over the AOKP software, here is what will be ported to your handset: the lockerscreen can be themed, new NavBar and Lockscreen User Interface, open Source SuperUser, toggles can be scrolled sideways, new Toggles, Web GL on Nexus 10 and a lot more.
You can prepare your Note 2 for the installation procedure by:
- Gaining root access – AOKP is an unofficial update so you need to unchain the system of your device; else the ROM can’t be applied.
- Installing a custom recovery image – due to same considerations the stock recovery must be replaced with a custom one; only by doing this you can flash the Jelly bean 4.2.2 based AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly software on your AT&T Note 2.
- Backup the data and also make a Nandroid backup – a wipe will be required which means that all of your personal data, info and accounts (text messages, call logs, internet settings, contacts, market apps, current ROM, EFS and so on) will be erased.
Those are the essential pre requisites; now beside the already mentioned tasks, you also need to read some general aspects related to the present operation and you also have to apply the general pre requisites. All the aspects related to the same are being described below:
- By gaining root access so by updating with AOKP Android 4.2.2 you will void the Galaxy Note 2 warranty.
- The warranty can be restored by downgrading to stock Jelly Bean OS, or by un-rooting the system of your phablet.
- You will need to use a computer or notebook along with your handset and with its USB cord.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone because you will have to connect your phone with the computer.
- Charge the battery of your Note 2 or else your device might get turned off in the middle of the update operation.
- Deactivate the security settings and programs from both computer and phablet because these programs are usually interfering (or even interrupting), with the flashing operation.
This tutorial has been developed only for the AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 – don’t download the AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly Custom ROM firmware file by using the link from below if you have a different or similar handset.
How to Update AT&T Galaxy Note 2 to Android 4.2.2 with AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the update file from here.
- Download the Google Apps package from here.
- Save the files on the computer.
- Don’t unzip the files.
- Connect the Note 2 with the PC (via USB cable) and transfer the downloaded files from your PC to the phablet.
- Unplug the USB cord.
- Turn off your device.
- Reboot into recovery mode: press and hold Volume UP, Power and Home buttons at the same time.
- Use the recovery menu for: select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return by choosing “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the AOKP firmware file and flash the ROM.
- Return, repeat the step from above and install the Google Apps Package.
- Select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Done, you have completed our step by step guide. Your AT&T Samsung galaxy Note 2 model number SGH-I317 has been updated with the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based AOKP JB-MR1 Nightly Custom ROM Firmware. So, we are done for today; stay close for further tutorials and Android related tips and tricks.