Update Galaxy Note 2 with Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Revolution HD Custom ROM
The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 can be easily updated with the latest Android 4.1.1 custom ROM available and this, as soon as you learn how to install the Revolution HD firmware. The OS upgrade is being offered by those of xda-developers, who had develop a software that comes with several features and with important bug fixes and improvements for the UI and for making the platform more stable and smooth. Therefore, if you wish to flash the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Revolution HD ROM on your Note 2, you will have to perform the below pre requisites and end with applying the proper steps.
Now, the Revolution HD update is being based on the latest XXALJ3 Jellybean 4.1.1 built, which was recently made available by Samsung, meaning that most of the features included in the mentioned firmware will be installed on your Note 2. Furthermore, you will get other capabilities too, ones that cannot be found in the default version of the Android system. Then, you should know that the present ROM comes with new themes (the stock ROM is also featured) and with an improved user interface, so that you can smoothly use your handset in any situation and for performing usual to complex operations.
Anyway, if you want more details about the features and about the capabilities that will be added to your Note, I recommend you to take a look over the image from below. I have listed there the main aspects related to the software you are about to install. You can then decide whether to perform the below steps or not.
By now, you should figure it out that the present Jelly Bean update isn’t an official OS provided by Samsung for your Note 2, the Revolution HD being just a custom ROM developed by third party devs. This aspect brings another fact into our discussion: the warranty. Well, for applying the tutorial, your device must be rooted. The root operation is not hard to complete (use a step by step guide for easing your work) but once the system is unchained the warranty will get void. So, you must be careful as if something goes wrong and if your handset gets damaged, then you will be by yourselves. Of course, you can restore the warranty as soon as you downgrade to the stock ROM, or when you will install an official OS update.
After rooting you must also get and install a custom recovery image (like CWM recovery) for your gadget. This tool will be used for the flashing operation, so you must get the same.
Installing the Revolution HD firmware on your Note 2 will imply in losing the data which is being stored on the device internal storage memory. That’s why you must previously backup the data (you can use the backup and restore tips from the next list). Then, you must use a computer where you will have to download the update file. Next, you should enable the USB debugging option from your device (go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”) as you will have to connect it with the PC. On the computer and on your handset you must first deactivate the security tools and protection (like antivirus and Firewall) as these programs might interfere with the flashing procedure. Finally, make sure that the Note’s battery is fully charged.
- You should start by backing up the current ROM. In case something wrong happens you can easily restore the stock one. For this, you must learn how to use a custom recovery image.
- Then, backup the EFS folder and the internet settings.
- You might want to backup the call logs; for that download suitable backup and restore tools for Android.
- The contacts list should be extremely important for you; therefore learn how to sync with Google and backup the same.
- Save all the text messages from your handset by downloading SMS backup and restore apps.
- Use a computer or SD card for saving other files like images or videos.
Don’t forget that you mustn’t apply the next steps for a similar device with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as you can end up in bricking your handset. Then, read the lines from below carefully and try not to mess things up (don’t perform things by yourselves).
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 with Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Revolution HD Custom ROM
- As mentioned above, on the computer you are using, save the update file.
- You can download the Jelly Bean based Revolution HD custom ROM from here.
- Up next, by using the USB cord, connect the Note 2 with the PC.
- Select and then copy-paste (or drag and drop) the update file from the computer to the handset’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cord so that you can disconnect the device from the computer.
- Turn the Note off.
- Reboot it in recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up button and the Home key button while pressing on the Power one.
- The first thing to perform from recovery mode is the wipe; that’s why, you should select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, return to recovery by choosing “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select, or pick the update file which you have downloaded before.
- Install the same.
- Wait for several minutes while the flashing process is running.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” followed by “reboot system now”.
So, there you have it; that was the step by step guide that has to be completed for learning how to update the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 based Revolution HD custom ROM firmware. This is a stable update, so everything should run smoothly. Anyway, test the software and then share your impressions with us and with other users as well. Also, do the same for sharing the possible problems that might happen during the installation procedure.