Slim Bean built 5 for the Galaxy Note 2 N7100 is here so during the following lines we will be checking on how to install this Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based custom ROM on your phablet. By using this tutorial you will be able to learn more about custom firmwares, about how to prepare your device when looking forward in installing an unofficial update and also I will show you how to easily flash the SlimBean platform on your Note 2 and update your device to Android 4.2.2 OS, so all the aspects needed are being resumed here.
As mentioned this is built 5 of Slim Bean which means that you are about to flash the latest version of the ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Furthermore, the SlimBean firmware is based on latest Android software, Jelly Bean 4.2.2, so you will be installing the same on your phablet. Also, the ROM comes with extra features, apps and capabilities and all just for improving the Android experience and for powering up the performances of your device.
The SlimBean ROM is stable so, if you complete this step by step guide, you will update your Note 2 with a smooth platform that comes with no bugs or issues. Anyway, the OS has been developed and offered by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for this tutorial (all the credits go to them). It should be clear by now that you will not apply an official Jelly Bean update on your smartphone; this is a custom system that is based on stock Jelly Bean platform, but the same is not OTA available.
Actually, a custom ROM is a free aftermarket distribution of the Android OS that comes to improve, customize and optimize the stock JB system. The ROMs are being developed by third party devs, so the updates are not released by Samsung. Now, the Slim Bean platform can be installed manually on your Note 2 only by using dedicated tutorials, just like the present one. You should be careful when completing the same as the update operation is being considered risky and complex, which means that if you somehow mess things up, you can end up in bricking your device.
Also, you need to previously prepare your handset for the flashing operation; that’s why you need to read and apply the lines mentioned during the following list; don’t skip this part as it is the most relevant one.
- This guide will work only for rooted phablets; so use a suitable root method and unchain your Galaxy Note 2 N7100.
- After gaining root access, install a custom recovery image on your smartphone; when flashing custom ROMs the stock recovery can’t be used.
- Be careful because the warranty will get void. For restoring the warranty you have to un-root the system, or you have to update / downgrade your Note 2 to stock / official Android OS (check our “update Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100” page for suitable guides).
- Also, consider in backing up the data which is saved on the phablet internal storage memory. A wipe of the system will be required, meaning that without the backup you will lose all of your personal saves and data. You have here, on Android.gs, backup and restore guides from which you can learn how to save the contacts, text messages, call logs, EFS folder, market apps and so on; don’t hesitate and use our tutorials.
- I recommend you to apply a Nandroid backup too.
- A computer, your device and its USB cable will be required; on the computer you will download the firmware file, then you will copy the same on your handset.
- For being able to perform the mentioned operations, you will have to uninstall the security programs that are running on both computer and smartphone.
- Also, you will have to enable the USB debugging option on your Note 2.
- Furthermore, your phone needs to be fully charged (at least ensure that there is more than 60% power left) or else it might get turned off while you will try to flash the Slim Bean ROM.
- This guide is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100; don’t use this procedure if you have a similar or different Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 with SlimBean Custom ROM Firmware
- From here download the SlimBean ROM file on your computer.
- Don’t unzip the firmware file.
- Connect your Note 2 with the PC (use the USB cable for establishing the connection).
- Select the downloaded file and copy it from your computer to your phablet’s SD card.
- Disconnect the devices, as the computer is no longer needed.
- Turn off your device as it has to be rebooted into recovery mode.
- For recovery mode just press and hold the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons for a few seconds.
- From the recovery menu, you first have to apply a complete wipe; just select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- And select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and start the flashing operation.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++”, “reboot system now” and you are done.
Well done; you have successfully completed the tutorial which means that now, your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is being powered by the SlimBean Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. I recommend you to test the new software as soon as possible in order to see if everything is working as expected or not. If there are problems, share the same with us and we will assist you as soon as possible.