The most popular and powerful custom ROMs for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE N7105 are here, as recently I have showed you how to update your phablet with the WanamLite Jelly Bean 4.1.2 firmware and with the ParanoidAndroid Jelly Bean 4.2.2 software. Furthermore, during the present step by step guide we will be checking on how to update the Galaxy Note 2 LTE to Jelly Bean 4.2.1 by installing the AOKP custom ROM, so for the proper tutorial check and apply the lines from below.
The AOKP JB 4.2.1 for the Galaxy Note 2 comes with many improvements and extra features, the ROM being stable and without bugs. By flashing the same on your device you will be able to power up the performances, improve the speeds, enjoy a custom Jelly Bean experience, add new features (like tablet / phablet mode), apps and capabilities, improve the battery life and get a better web browsing experience. Also, the AOKP ROM is being based on the CM 10.1 platform so features from the mentioned software will also be ported to your Note 2. Anyway, if you do want to check more about the AOKP firmware, just take a look here, where our source page is.
As mentioned, this version of AOKP is based on the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean OS, meaning that by completing this tutorial you will install the same on your LTE Galaxy Note 2. Anyway, at this point it should be clear for you that this is not an official update released by Samsung; AOKP JB 4.2.1 is a custom ROM, which has been developed and tested by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present step by step guide. So, that’s why you must apply a manual method (that is considered risky) for applying the software on your handset (you cannot OTA or by using KIES flash the OS).
When trying to install custom ROMs, first you must begin the update operation with the pre requisites. In this way you are preparing the device for the process that will follow and also, you can avoid the unpleasant situations, like bricking your smartphone, or losing your personal info and data. So, take your time and make sure that everything listed below is being checked up before heading to the proper installation procedure.
- AOKP JB 4.2.1 is a custom ROM which means that for applying it you must first root your Galaxy Note 2 N7105.
- By rooting the warranty gets void.
- You can restore the lost warranty by downgrading your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to stock software. Then, the root access will be revoked and you will install your device with factory restrictions.
- After gaining root access you must flash a custom recovery image on your phablet. We will install the AOKP firmware by using this tool, so do not skip this part.
- A wipe of the system will have to be applied therefore it is more than recommended to backup all the Note 2 data starting with the text messages, contacts, market apps and ending with internet settings and EFS.
- Also, I do recommend you to make a Nandroid backup for saving the current ROM too.
Those were the essential preparation tasks. Without completing them you will not be able to update your Galaxy Note 2 to Jelly Bean 4.2.1. Up next, ensure the following: a computer, the handset and the USB cable must be near you; on the computer and device there shouldn’t be any security tools (antivirus for example) installed or running; your Note 2 must have enough battery life in order to stay “alive”, so maybe it will be better to charge it first; the USB debugging option must be enabled on your smartphone.
Also, remember that this tutorial has been developed and tested only for the LTE variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, which has the model number N7105. Installing the AKOP software on the international model will lead to a bricked phone. Also, the same will happen if you will try to apply the next steps on a similar smartphone or tablet, so be careful in what you do.
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 LTE N7105 to Jelly Bean 4.2.1 with AOKP Custom ROM Firmware
- Use the link from here and download the update file on your computer.
- Then, take the USB cord and by using the same connect your Note 2 with the computer.
- You now need to take the downloaded file from the computer and place it on your device.
- You can safely remove the USB cable now.
- Then, turn off the handset and reboot it by pressing the Home, Volume Up and Power keys together.
- The recovery mode menu will be displayed.
- From there first of all select to wipe the system (remember to backup the data first): “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- You can return to the main menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- By using the same select “install zip from sd card” followed by “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the update file which was downloaded before and start the update process.
- When the update is installed, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now.
- If you will somehow get a boot loop, try to wipe the system once more (repeat the same procedure as showed above).
- The first boot of your device will take longer than usual; don’t press anything while your handset is rebooting.
There you have it guys: that was the how to procedure that can be used by those who are looking forward in updating the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 LTE with the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean based AOKP custom ROM firmware. Use the comments area from below for sharing the issues that might occur while applying the steps from above and your impressions related to the new software.