Update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXDMB5 OS
The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 devices can be updated with a new firmware, as the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXDMB5 OS had just been made available. So, if you haven’t OTA received the same, or if your phablet is currently running on a custom ROM software and cannot be updated with an official firmware, then I will show you how to manually install the Android 4.1.2 XXDMB5 OS on your Galaxy Note 2. Take note that even though we are dealing with an official release of the Android system, you still have to prepare your Note 2 for the installation procedure, so make sure that you are reading all the lines from this step by step guide; don’t head straight to the update procedure as you will risk in bricking your handset.
The last official firmware that was made available for the Galaxy Note 2 was dubbed as XXDMB2 (you can learn how to flash the same on your phablet by using this tutorial), so now the XXDMB5 OS comes with some bug fixes and maintenance improvements so that you can enjoy a more stable and smooth version of the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 ROM. Also, it is recommended to get the latest Android platform especially if we are talking about the OTA release of the same as in this way you can receive the latest apps, features and other updates that are being suitable with your Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
Now, as you know, when talking about official updates, there are some problems with the market availability as not all the Note 2 users will receive the OTA at the same time. This is happening because Samsung is releasing the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXDMB5 OS on limited markets and also the carriers are pushing the firmware on different dates. Therefore, if you want to apply the software now, without waiting for the OTA version to be rolled out, you need to complete a manual installation procedure. Well, this tutorial is teaching you the same, so for the proper update operation apply the steps from below; but don’t forget about the pre requisites (you have the preparation tasks explained during the following list).
- You will have to use a Windows running computer with internet connection enabled.
- The phablet and its USB cable will also be used.
- On the computer and on your Galaxy Note 2 it will be a good idea to uninstall the security tools first; these programs will interfere with the update operation and we don’t want that to happen.
- It is recommended to charge the battery of your handset especially if you notice that there is less than 60% power left.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone. You can easily perform the same by going to “Menu -> Settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging”.
- Backup the Galaxy Note 2 N7100 data before going any further. In case something wrong happens you will have to wipe the system meaning that all of your personal saved will be erased. Therefore, if possible make a Nandroid backup and also use market apps for saving the text messages, call logs, EFS, internet settings and everything else you might want to save from your phablet.
The Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXDMB5 firmware is an official update released for the Galaxy Note 2. This means that you don’t have to own a rooted device for being able to complete this manual procedure. Furthermore, in case you have lost the warranty of your smartphone by rooting or updating with a custom ROM software, now you will be able to restore the warranty. Of course, by applying this tutorial, if your Note 2 is currently rooted, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked; so you will have to re-root your phablet but by using a guide that is suitable with the new XXDMB5 OS.
Remember that this update has been made available only for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model number N7100, so don’t try to apply this tutorial for a similar Android based device. If you do complete the next steps for another handset, then you will eventually brick your phone.
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXDMB5 OS
- Download the update file, Odin and Samsung KIES on your computer.
- The download link for the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update is here.
- You can get Odin from here and Samsung KIES from here.
- Now, on the computer extract the update file and install Odin.
- Also, install the proper drivers for your phablet by using Samsung KIES.
- On the computer open Odin and turn off your phone.
- Reboot the same into download mode by pressing the Volume Down, OK and Power buttons at the same time.
- With the phablet booted in download mode, take the USB cable and use it for connecting the device with the computer.
- Once you connect the devices, on Odin the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue and the “added” message should be displayed.
- If not, you will have to re-install the drivers on the computer (first turn off Odin and unplug the USB cable) and repeat the procedure from the beginning.
- From Odin now select “PDA” and pick the update file from the PC.
- Up next, click on “Start” for beginning the update operation.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message should be displayed.
- You can then unplug the USB cable and reboot your Galaxy Note 2.
Now, here are the most common issues that might appear while using Odin and trying to flash an official update: first, if Odin gets stuck in the middle of the installation procedure here is what you need to do: close Odin, disconnect the phablet from the computer, force restart the handset, re-install the drivers on the PC and then repeat all the steps from the beginning.
Then, also, in the end you might get a loop boot instead of a normal one; if that happens here is what you need to do: reboot your Note 2 into recovery mode. Then, by using the recovery mode menu wipe the system by selecting “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition; next, end the process by choosing “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
So, that was all for today; now you know how to easily and manually update your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXDMB5 OS. Test the new software and do tell us how the same runs on your phablet. Use the comments area from below for sharing your impressions and thoughts with us and with other users as well. Also, stay close for further tutorials and Android related tips and tricks.