Finally, the Nightly build of CM10.1 has been made available for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100. So, now you can learn how to flash a new Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based firmware on your phablet, a firmware that will be coming with important and essential features, apps and capabilities. Therefore, if you want to power up the performances of your Note 2 by installing the Nightly CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 custom ROM software, follow and complete the present step by step guide.
CM10.1 is one of the most used custom ROMs by worldwide Android users, the platform being available and suitable with almost all the smartphones / tablets available on the market. Furthermore, CM10.1 is bringing stock and extra JB 4.2.2 features and apps that can be used by those who are looking forward in customizing and optimizing the performances of their devices. So, if you want the same for your Galaxy Note 2 N7100 don’t hesitate and test the Android 4.2.2 based firmware.
Since this is the Nightly build of CM10.1, the ROM is stable and comes without bugs or issues. According to those who have already installed the firmware on their Galaxy Note 2, the software is smoothly running and everything works perfectly. Also, the users reported that after flashing CM10.1, there have been noticed important improvements like: improved speeds, upgraded battery life, customizable user interface and access to in built programs for optimizing the performances.
Do note that this is a custom update and not an official one. If you want to apply the latest OTA that has been rolled out for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model number N7100 – JB 4.1.2 based firmware, then use our tutorial from here. Then, you can also learn how to root the stock Android software by using the guide from here. You should use the last method anyway as your Note 2 has to be rooted if you want to flash the CM10.1 JB 4.2.2 OS into its system. So, ensure the same before going any further.
Be aware as when rooting the warranty will get void – you will remove the factory restrictions for gaining access to the internal system of your phablet, so the root process in an unofficial task. For restoring the warranty you will have to update your Note 2 to stock / official OS – use the link from above for learning how to manually apply the XXDME6 software – or to apply a un-root procedure.
After gaining root access you also need to install a custom recovery image on your device because the stock recovery tool can’t be used when dealing with custom or unofficial updates. I recommend you to flash CWM recovery as it is the most used and complex custom recovery available for the Android system.
Then, after completing the above mentioned operations, you should consider in backing up the Note 2 data. You see, the system will have to be wiped out, which means that all that is stored on the same will be erased. Therefore, you will lose your personal saves, accounts and data; do backup your contacts list, EFS folder, call logs, internet settings, market apps, text messages, calendar info and everything else that is saved on the internal storage memory. Make a Nandroid backup too, as this is the only way in which you can backup / restore the current Android OS. Now, the rest of the pre requisites are being described during the following list; don’t skip the same.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your smartphone; do to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Your Note 2 must have at least 60% power left; if not charge its battery – else your device might get turned off in the middle of the flashing operation and you can end up in bricking your handset.
- You need to have access to a computer as the CM10.1 custom ROM file has to be downloaded on the same.
- On both, computer and phablet you need to temporarily deactivate the antivirus, antimalware and Firewall protection; the security tools are usually interfering or even interrupting the update operation and we don’t want that to happen.
- This tutorial is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model number N7100; don’t use the steps from below for installing the Nightly CM10.1 Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update on a similar or different Android based device.
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 with Nightly CM10.1 JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- On your computer download: the firmware file – from here; and the Google Apps package – from here.
- Don’t unzip the files, just save them on Desktop.
- Then, place the downloaded files on your phablet – first use the USB cord and connect your device with the computer and then copy-paste or drag and drop the downloaded files.
- Remove the USB cable as the computer is no longer required.
- Turn off your Galaxy Note 2 and reboot your device in recovery mode.
- For recovery: press and hold for a few seconds and at the same time the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons.
- Now, in order to prepare your handset for the flashing operation, from recovery select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition” – remember to backup the data first.
- Return -> select “+++go back+++”.
- And then select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM10.1 update and flash the same.
- Return, repeat the procedure and install the Google Apps package.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”; you are done.
Congratulations, you have installed the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1 Nightly custom ROM firmware on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100. If there were problems, or if you had hard times in understanding the tasks explained above, use the comments area from below and share the issues with us. We will try to assist you and resolve the problems as soon as possible.