The T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 can be easily updated with numerous custom ROMs, as those of xda-developers had released several OS improvements for the mentioned device lately. So, after I have showed you how to install the Jedi Master software on your Note 2, today I will try to teach you how to update the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T889 with the new Tether Edition Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1 firmware. Now, if you want to learn more about this update and if you will want to try to flash the same on your phablet, all you need to do is to check the following lines as all the info needed is being explained there.
The Tether Edition OS will provide native tethering for your Galaxy Note 2 (you can use tethering via Settings) and will bring other advantages that are not included in the default or stock Android 4.1.1 system. In fact, the present software is being based on the stock Jelly Bean 4.1.1 platform and brings only minor features for your Note 2. But, the battery life will be improved, the performances optimized and more, as the ROM is rooted, deodexed, comes with init.d support and is running with an unsecure kernel. More aspects about the features and capabilities included in the Tether Edition firmware can be checked out by using the link from here.
If you have decided to install the Android 4.1.1 based Tether Edition custom ROM on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2, you will first have to apply the pre requisites on your device. Without preparing your phablet for the update that will follow you will not be able to safely flash the new software. That’s why it is more than recommended to read and perform all the lines from this tutorial.
A full wipe of the system will have to be completed which means that the Galaxy Note 2 data will be wiped out. Updating the Note 2 with Tether Edition can’t be done unless the wipe is applied therefore a backup is previously required. You can use our step by step guides for learning how to make a full backup (save the contacts, messages, call logs, EFS and more); all you need to do is to search through our how to section for suitable tutorials. Then, return here and resume the rest of the steps.
Unfortunately, if you complete this tutorial, the warranty of your device will be void. This is happening because you need to root the T-Mobile Note 2 before going any further. Be aware as you can brick your phablet, so try not to mess things up. If you do manage to brick the Note 2, then use our guide and learn how to fix the same. Don’t worry, as the warranty can be restored; for that you will have to downgrade to the stock ROM, or to update with an official software released by Samsung and suitable with your Note 2 T889.
Next, after rooting, you have to get and flash the CWM recovery image on your handset. This tool is extremely important for us because it will be used for the update operation (I will show you how a little bit later). Take note as the custom recovery image can be installed only on a rooted system. Then, you will have to ensure that all the tasks which are being explained during the next list are being completed before heading to the proper steps.
- Make sure that you can use and access a Windows running computer with internet connection enabled.
- The Galaxy Note 2 and its USB cable should also be near you.
- On both, computer and device, deactivate or uninstall the antivirus tools. Also, the Firewall protection should be deactivated.
- The battery of your phablet must be charged before applying the update; else the handset might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure.
- This tutorial is being suitable only with the T-Mobile version of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2, model number T889; the Tether Edition Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Custom ROM can be installed only on the mentioned smartphone.
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 T889 with Tether Edition Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the Tether Edition update file from here.
- Save it on your computer.
- And then copy the same on your phablet (for that, first connect the device with the PC).
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Turn off the handset as recovery mode must be entered.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons at the same time.
- Now, from recovery first of all, select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. A backup must be applied before performing this step.
- Return to the main menu by selecting “+++go back+++”.
- For starting the update process all you need to do is to select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- And then pick the downloaded file from your Note 2.
- Start the flashing operation; in the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulation, you are done. The tutorial has been successfully completed meaning that your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 T889 has been updated with the Tether Edition Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware. Test the software and do share your impressions with us. Also, tell us how things worked for you or if you had encountered issues while trying to complete the steps from above.