Use this tutorial if you want to learn how to successfully update your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 device with a brand new Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware version like the XXUEND6 one.
This new firmware has been released internationally for all Note 3 LTE models in May 2014. Before starting the updating process you should take a look at the preparation guide below and learn how to correctly configure the phone:
- use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE model number N9005.
– don’t attempt to update any other smartphones with the files that you will find in this article, you will end up bricking their firmware.
- download the Samsung USB Drivers and install them on your computer.
– without drivers your smartphone will not be recognized by your PC and ODIN – the app that we will use to flash the new firmware files.
- enable USB Debugging from Developer Options menu.
– if Developer Options menu is not listed, then you should enable that one, too – this guide for S5 tells you how to do it as it works for all Samsung devices including Note 3 LTE.
- disable Samsung KIES and all antivirus apps from running on your PC, as these apps will usually block the ODIN app and you cannot complete tutorial.
- in case your Note 3 LTE packs a custom ROM, then this will be removed completely along with all data from the system partition. Also, it is recommended for you to remove the external microSD if there is one connected to your device.
- if you want to backup data prior to installation then you should use the Helium tool for Android.
- in case the device runs on stock Android no files will be lost in the process.
- rooted smartphones will be un-rooted in the process and have the warranty restored. Also, if there is any custom Recovery installed on your device it will be replaced with a Stock variant.
- check the battery charge level of your device and make sure that there is at least 40% left, so that the Note 3 LTE will not power off while you’re flashing the new files.
- this guide is destined to be applied by advanced users, do not blame us in case you brick the phone’s firmware.
- read all info below and make sure not to skip any steps.
Since you’ve read all of the above you can continue to the next part of this post and learn how to successfully update your phone to a new OS version.
How to flash XXUEND6 Android 4.4.2 for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE:
- Download the N9005XXUEND6 LTE zip file.
– the download link is from SamMobile, so you should create an account before being able to download it.
- After the download is complete you should extract its contents and place them in a single folder on your PC.
– there should be a tar.md5 file, so you don’t need to extract any further than that.
- Dowload ODIN 3.09 zip.
– extract the zip contents and place them on your PC.
- Power off the Note 3 LTE.
- Boot the phone in Download Mode.
– if you can’t boot Android’s Download Mode, then you should follow the info listed in this post and learn how to do it.
- Connect the phone to your PC using the USB data cable.
– wait until ODIN detects the phone, then you can continue to the next step.
– if the Note 3 LTE isn’t detected by ODIN, then you should try to re-install the Samsung USB Drivers – download link is listed in the guidelines above.
- Launch the ODIN exe on your computer.
- Press the ‘AP’ button and then you should load the N9005XXUEND6 tar.md5 file.
– disable the ‘Re-Partition’ option.
– don’t edit other default options.
- Hit the START button when you’re ready for the installation process.
– don’t press any buttons until the update is complete.
- When all files are successfully installed you will notice the ‘PASS’ alert from ODIN, while the smartphone will restart.
- Unplug the phone from PC when the the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE boot animation loads.
- Wait for the first boot process to be completed and then log into your device’s brand new Android 4.4.2 OS.
These were all the steps that you had to take in order to successfully update your phone. If the installation was completed without problems, then you can close this tutorial and start testing the new ROM. If you encountered problems, then you might want to try and repeat the guide or read the ‘notes’ below.
NOTE 1: if ODIN says that the process has failed or there are any errors listed by your PC or phone, then you need to repeat the guide. Make sure that your phone has the N9005 model number as otherwise the guide doesn’t work with other model numbers. Also, make sure not to skip any steps that are listed above.
NOTE 2: if ODIN says ‘PASS’, but the phone is unable to boot past the Galaxy S3 boot logo or it enters into a boot loop, then you will be forced to apply a Factory Reset for your device. The factory reset wipes the data from system partition, but it will force the device to boot in normal mode. Here’s how to apply this process:
- power off the Galaxy Note 3 LTE completely.
– remove its battery and re-insert it back into its place after five seconds.
- boot the device in Recovery Mode.
- select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’ option.
- reboot the phone in normal mode.
Wait for the device to load all the new files, then you should use your Google or Samsung account in order to take control over your Note 3 LTE once again.
I hope that you’ve managed to complete the updating process for your device to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Test all of its new features and tell us in comments which are your favorite new KitKat functions.