Update Galaxy Note 8.0 N5120 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXBME1 Firmware
Even though the Galaxy Note 8.0 is not yet available for all the Android customers out there, the first official update for the new Jelly Bean based tablet has been rolled out by Samsung in selected markets only. So, by using this tutorial you will be able to learn how to easily update (manually) the Note 8.0 N5120 to stock Android 4.1.2 XXBME1 firmware. Check the lines from below if you need more info about the same and also if you want to check how to properly prepare your tablet for the flashing procedure.
As mentioned the XXBME1 software is the official firmware released by Samsung for the Galaxy Note 8.0, which means that the ROM is OTA available – in selected markets though. So, if you haven’t received the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS until now, or if you need to manually flash the update on your Note 8.0, then you can anytime use this step by step guide. All the info needed and all the aspects related to the update operation are being described below therefore you have nothing to worry about; you will be done in just a couple of minutes.
You should know that in case you have rooted your tablet, or installed it with a custom ROM firmware, the OTA releases of the Android system will no longer be received by your Galaxy Note 8.0. That’s why, if you will want to downgrade to stock ROM, or to update to official updates (in our case Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXBME1 OS) a manual flashing operation will be required. Don’t worry though, as the installation procedure can be easily applied; you don’t have to perform complex operations for being able to complete this guide.
In order to make it clear here is what you need to know: you don’t have to root your Galaxy Note 8.0 for being able to apply the official JB 4.1.2 XXBME1 firmware because this tutorial will work on both rooted and locked tablets. So, the warranty of your device will not get void; furthermore, if your handset is currently rooted, now you will be able to restore its warranty. Of course the root access will be revoked, but the stock Android OS will be re-installed.
Furthermore, you don’t need to replace the stock recovery image with a custom recovery one because Odin will be used on this guide. The firmware file will be installed via Odin, so you don’t have to worry about other things. For those who don’t know, Odin is a tool developed by Samsung and suitable with update operations, so you are in good hands.
Anyway, in order to avoid the unpleasant or unexpected situations, I do recommend you to backup the Galaxy Note 8.0 N5120 data before applying anything else. If a wipe will be required for resolving the issues then you will risk in losing all of your personal info and data. That’s why you need to previously save your contacts, messages, market apps, accounts, call logs, EFS folder, internet settings and anything else you might consider. For completing a full backup use our suitable guides or just download suitable apps from Google Play.
Considering that Odin will have to be used, it should be clear for you that a Windows running computer, the tablet and its USB cable must be near you. Then, on both computer and handset you should deactivate the security protection because the same can interfere with the update operation. Next, charge your Note 8.0, or else the tablet might get turned off during the flashing procedure (it might also get bricked if that happens). Also, enable the USB debugging option (else you will not be able to properly connect your tablet with the computer) from its system by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Also, remember that this step by step guide will show you how to install the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXBME1 Firmware only on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 model number N5120; applying this guide on a similar tablet will probably brick the same, so be careful and try not to mess things up.
How to Update Galaxy Note 8.0 N5120 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXBME1 Firmware
- Download the update file by using the link from here. Then, extract the file preferable on desktop.
- Then, download Odin and install the same on your computer.
- Also, on your PC download Samsung KIES and install the Note 8.0 drivers.
- On the computer open Odin.
- Turn off your tablet.
- Reboot by pressing on Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time; the download mode will be displayed.
- Connect your Note with the computer via USB cord.
- Now, on Odin you should notice that the ID:COM is yellow or blue and that the “added” message is being displayed.
- If not, you will have to close Odin and reinstall the Note 8.0 drivers once more; then repeat the steps from above.
- Form Odin you have to select the “PDA” option.
- Then pick the update file.
- On Odin the Re-partition box must remain unchecked.
- Now, click on “start”.
- When the update operation will be over, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed.
- You need to reboot your tablet as you are done.
- Note: if Odin gets stuck you need to close the tool, unplug the USB cable, force restart the Note 8.0, reinstall the drivers on the computer, open Odin and apply the update procedure from the beginning.
- Note 2: if your tablet gets stuck in a boot loop you need to reboot it into recovery mode (press and hold Power and Volume Up) and from there you need to select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”. Then reboot your device into Android OS and that’s it.
There you have it; that was the tutorial that can be used by those who want to learn how to update the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5120 to official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXBME1 Firmware. If you have questions or if you just want to share your experience with us, use the comments area from below and we will try to assist you as soon as possible.