The brand new custom ROM project called OmniROM KitKat Nightlies has been released for the Samsung Galaxy Note N7000, the first device released By Samsung in the Galaxy Note series. Follow the info that I’ve listed in this post and you should be able to complete the update in no time without bricking the device.
OmniROM KitKat is based on full AOSP Android 4.4 OS and it adds some of its own default features such as non-obtrusive incoming call alert, multi-window support, multi-workspace, flippable quick settings, DSP Manager enhancements, per-app permissions controls and tons of other smaller tweaks. You will find all the other small touches and improvements only by testing this brand new custom ROM.
Remember that this custom ROM is still in its development stage and you might find errors and bugs while testing this brand new ROM. If you find any major errors, then you should tell us in comments or contacts the developers.
Check the guidelines below before starting the installation process, you’ll learn how to setup the device. Here’s what you need to know:
- Use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy Note model number N7000.
– do not attempt to flash the files you find here on any other Android devices, as you will end up bricking them.
- The Galaxy Note has to be rooted and running the latest CWM Recovery Mode version.
– without these you cannot complete the tutorial.
- In the tutorial you will find the ‘factory reset’ process, which means that you will lose all data stored on the system partition.
– this Factory Reset is required, so you shouldn’t skip it.
– Factory Reset doesn’t remove data from internal or external storage.
> Factory Reset step can be skipped only in case you already run an official OmniROM Androd 4.4 Nightly.
> if you skip this step and the phone doesn’t boot in normal mode after installing the new custom ROM, then you will be forced to repeat the entire tutorial once again without skipping any steps.
- Backup data from applications that are installed on your Galaxy Note using Helium — Google Play Store link here.
- Backup SMS and APN Internet Settings using the following tools for Android: SMS backup & restore | APN Settings Backup & Restore. Root access is needed for these tools.
- Sync your Contacts data with your Gmail account.
– guide here.
- Enable USB Debugging option in Developer Options.
- In the tutorial you’ll find the NANDROID ROM Backup step, don’t skip it.
– it will create a restore point for you phone and you can use it in case the new ROM doesn’t boot in normal mode.
- Read the entire post, don’t skip any steps and remember that this guide should be applied by advanced Android users only.
- Check the phone’s battery power and make sure that there is 50% still left before the device switches off.
- Remember that we cannot be blamed in case you brick the phone or lose any data in the process.
Now that you know all of the above, continue to the next part of this post and learn how to update your phone with one of the best KitKat custom ROMs.
How to flash Official OmniROM Android 4.4 Nightlies for Galaxy Note N7000:
- Download the custom ROM from here.
– grab the latest version possible.
- Download Gapps for this custom ROM from here.
- Connect your smartphone with your computer and move both zip files to your device’s internal storage.
– don’t unzip the files.
– disconnect the phone form PC when done with the transfer.
- Power off your Galaxy Note now.
- Boot the device in CWM Recovery Mode.
– it can be done if you press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power all at the same time.
– release the buttons only when the custom Recovery screen appears.
- First, create the NANDROID Backup for your currently installed ROM:
– select ‘backup and restore’ option, then name the file and save it on your device’s internal storage.
- Next, apply the Factory Reset:
– select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, confirm the process.
- Now you can finally flash this custom ROM:
– select ‘install zip from sdcard’, then ‘choose zip from sdcard’.
– find the OmniROM KitKat Nightly zip and confirm its installation.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat step 8 action and flash the Gapps zip too.
- When both files are flashed, return to the main custom Recovery screen.
- Reboot your device now in normal mode.
– note that the first boot process takes at least five minutes to complete, which is why you shouldn’t interfere with the device until the phone boots in normal mode.
– in case the first boot process takes more than ten minutes, the device enters into a boot loop, then you will have to repeat the tutorial without skipping any steps.
- Enter your Google Account details when the home screen appears.
– start testing the brand new ROM and then tell us in comments if you find any new features not posted in the article.
I hope that you did manage to complete the installation and that your device is now running on OmniROM Android 4.4 OS.
If you cannot complete the tutorial or you don’t understand what some steps above are asking you to do, then you should ask for more help in comments. Make sure to leave a detailed comment, so that we will get a better idea on what you need to do in order to complete the guide.
In case you don’t like this new custom ROM then you can restore your device to its previous OS using the NANDROID ROM Backup file created in step 6.