After we have learned how to update the Galaxy Note N7000 handset with numerous beta firmware and Android 4.0 based custom ROMs, now thanks to Samsung, we will be checking in how to apply the official XXLQ2 ICS 4.0.3 update on your beloved N7000 device. The software has just been released and can be OTA (Over The Air) received if you are an United Kingdom or Ireland user. If different, you must follow the manual method (you have it explained in this step by step guide) which will take you through the installation procedure.
From what we know, this is the most stable version of the Ice Cream Sandwich firmware available for the Galaxy Note smartphones therefore if you want to get the best Android experience, you must flash this update. Don’t forget that you are dealing with an official release, an aspect that brings numerous advantages. Samsung launched the ROM for the UK and Ireland market, announcing that many other regions will soon follow. But, if you can’t wait no more, than you can manually install the XXLQ2 ICS 4.0.3 OS on your Note. This is a bootloader free update, so make sure that your phone has an unlocked system before proceeding.
This is the only thing that you must check before applying the upgrade, as you are about to get the default version of ICS. It means that in case you have a rooted device, than the root access will be revoked. Also, all the settings will be restored to the factory ones, so if your Note is running a custom ROM, than you will lose all of its features, themes and so on. After applying the update, the phone’s internal system will be re-locked, your access to it being restricted. There is a positive aspect though, as the warranty will be restored. As you might know each time you root, or flash a beta firmware, the warranty gets void and the only way for re-gaining the same is by installing an official OS, or by making a downgrade.
If you are living outside UK or Ireland, I recommend you to backup the data stored on your Galaxy Note. For doing this you can use our recommendations, presented in the list from below. The UK and Ireland users can backup the data, messages, contacts, calendar, images, videos, market apps and so on by using Samsung’s KIES (check the link for more details).
- The contacts and any other info related to the same can be saved as soon as you sync with Google and use the Android cloud. As you will see, the contacts can be easily restored by syncing again with your Gmail account.
- Then, you can backup the SMS, MMS and any other text messages by downloading SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- The same can be done for Call logs.
- If your handset has a custom recovery image installed then you will be able to save the current ROM too, just in case something bad happens, or if you don’t like the new firmware.
- Save the Internet settings.
- Use a computer or the Note’s SD card for storing any other data from its internal storage memory.
That’s not all; you also must prepare the Note and the computer you will have to use for ensuring that everything will be fine. These are the pre requisites and you must complete them. Else, you will encounter issues during the basic tutorial. So, don’t skip this section and don’t do things by yourselves. Furthermore, perform the below steps only if you have a Galaxy Note handset model number N7000 with an unlocked bootloader.
- Uninstall the Firewall and any other protection or security tools from your smartphone and from your computer as we don’t want them to interfere with our job.
- If the power left in your Note is less than 70% go and charge the battery first.
- On your phone go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the last option for enabling the USB debugging section.
Finally, you can go and apply the update. Make sure you are doing everything as explained and detailed during the steps. In this way you can be sure that everything is going as planned.
How to Update Galaxy Note N7000 with Official XXLQ2 ICS 4.0.3 Firmware
- In order to manually apply the update you should download the file first. Get it from here and save it to your computer.
- Also, for flashing the ROM into the phone’s system you will have to use Odin. So, download Odin.
- Extract Odin and then open the same.
- Turn off the Note.
- Reboot and enter in recovery mode.
- The download mode menu can be achieved by pressing the Volume Down Key and OK button while powering the handset on.
- Connect the device with the computer; use the USB cord for this.
- On Odin the ID:COM section should turn yellow.
- If not, try to install the USB drivers on your computer and then re-do the up-mentioned steps.
- Up next, go to Odin and click on “PDA”.
- Choose and pick the “N7000XXLQ2_N7000XXLPT_N7000XEULP4_HOME.tar.md5” file.
- Click on “Start”.
- In the end disconnect the Note from the PC.
- You should now perform a full wipe of the system.
- For that, reboot your handset and enter in recovery mode: press Volume UP Key and OK button while powering on.
- Then, choose “Wipe data factory reset” followed by “Wipe cache partition”.
- Finally, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Congratulations, you made it; your Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 is now updated with the latest and official XXLQ2 ICS 4.0.3 Firmware. Stay close as we will bring a suitable root guide for your new OS. But, until then, test the software and see if there are bugs or things that are not working properly. Share your impressions with us and we will assist you for resolving the possible problems.