Update Galaxy Note N7000 with Slim Bean Android 4.1.2 Custom ROM
Even though the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update isn’t yet available for the Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 you can still test the Jelly Bean flavor on your own Note as now the Slim Bean custom ROM firmware has been released. The Slim Bean ROM is being developed by those of xda-developers and since now the software has been successfully ported on devices like the LG Google Nexus 4, Asus Nexus 7, Galaxy S2 and more; therefore starting from now you can install the platform on the Galaxy Note too, all thanks to xda member krarvind.
The best part about the Slim Bean update is that it combines the CM10 and AOKP platforms, so you will be able to get many and powerful features for your Galaxy Note phablet. Of course I am talking about extra features along with the stock ones as this is nothing but a custom ROM. For being able to enjoy the default version of the Android 4.1 system you will have to wait for the official jelly Bean update to be provided by Samsung, or flash the leaked XXLSA OS on your handset. But, if you ask me, the CM 10 and AOKP based Slim Bean Rom is exactly what your Note needs.
From what we know, and according to those who had already tried this software, the Slim Bean firmware is working perfectly for the Galaxy Note, so will not have to deal with bugs or things that aren’t working. You should now start the proper step by step guide as there is nothing left to say about this OS update. But before applying the update guide you will have to complete the pre requisites. Else, the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM will not be installed on your N7000 phablet; the following list is all you need for preparing the phone.
- Use our suitable tutorials (check out our how to section for the same) and learn how to root the Samsung Galaxy Note. If you skip this task you will not be able to apply the Slim Bean update.
- Gaining root access implies in voiding the warranty; be aware and try not to brick your device.
- You can restore the warranty (if needed) as soon as you downgrade the Note to the stock ROM, or if you flash the official OTA update, which will soon be released by Samsung. Then, the root access will be revoked and the factory restrictions re-installed.
- Once the system is rooted you can install complex and custom apps on your phone.
- CWM recovery is what you have to download and flash for your Note. This tool will be used later, but now you should know that without CWM recovery you will not be able to complete this tutorial.
- The Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software can be flashed only if you first wipe the system of your Galaxy Note. Therefore before that you must backup all of your personal info. Save the contacts, messages, call logs, internet settings, EFS and even the current ROM. You have backup and restore step by step guides explained here on Android.gs so don’t hesitate and use the same.
- The update file will first have to be downloaded on a computer.
- On the computer you will use deactivate the security tools. Do the same for your handset too, because these programs might interfere with our work.
- For ensuring that your smartphone doesn’t get turned off in the middle of the operation, charge its battery first.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device.
- Do not perform the next steps if you own a different device than the Samsung Galaxy Note model number N7000 because you will end up in bricking your handset.
How to Update Galaxy Note N7000 with Slim Bean Android 4.1.2 Custom ROM firmware
- Download the Slim Bean update file from here, and the Google Apps package from here on your computer.
- Connect the phablet with the PC and then copy-paste or drag and drop the downloaded files on the phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cord.
- Turn off the smartphone or just reboot in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until the phone boots into recovery.
- From recovery perform a wipe: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then, from the same menu install the ROM: “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Select the update file first and flash it and the repeat the procedure for installing the Google Apps package too.
- In the end select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- Take note that the first boot will take longer than normal; don’t panic as there is nothing wrong with your device.
The CM10 and AOKP powered Slim Bean Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware is now running on your Samsung Galaxy Note. You should give it a try and then maybe you will want to share your experience with other user too by using the comments area from below. Also, do tell us how things worked for you, or if there were issues while trying to complete the above explained steps.