The German users of the Galaxy Note recently received the official Android 4.0.4 XXLRG update (it can be OTA – Over the Air – applied), while Samsung promised that the same will soon be available through other countries too. An exact date wasn’t provided so, if you want to install the latest XXLRG ICS upgrade on your phone you will have to do it manually. The best way to do this will be by following this step by step guide in which you will be able to learn how to flash the software on your Note, from where to download it and how to prevent possible unpleasant situations from happening.
This Android 4.0.4 update comes to resolve the issues from the previous version of the ICS flavor and brings a few features to the system for improving your Note capabilities. The firmware is available only for the German customers but if you apply the manual method you can install it on any international Galaxy Note devices. Unfortunately, by doing this you will void the data which is stored on the phone’s internal storage memory. This is the only negative aspect that might mess with your nerves.
But, for avoiding this aspect, you can anytime consider in backing up the data. This operation is easy to complete and it will only take a couple of minutes from your time. You can then return here and safely resume this tutorial. The Galaxy Note data can be backed up by using some free distributed apps which can be downloaded from Google Play. You can search for suitable guides through our previous guides or you can check the next links:
- Download SMS backup and restore tools for Android.
- Download Call log backup and restore apps.
- Learn how to sync with Google and save the contacts.
- Save internet settings.
- You can backup even the current ROM if you are using a custom recovery image.
Now that we clarified the problem regarding the integrity of your personal info, let’s see why you should update the Galaxy Note with the official Android 4.0.4 XXLRG Firmware. First of all, if your handset is currently running a custom ROM, now you have the possibility of regaining the warranty. In this way a downgrade operation will be avoided. Take note that one you install this official software, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked. Don’t worry though as I will soon show you how to root a Note that runs the XXLRG operating system.
So, you don’t have to previously root your Note for being able to flash the official firmware and the same will not affect the warranty. More, it will restore it in case you previously void it. Again, just remember to backup the data first. For updating the N7000 we will use Odin, which is a tool designed especially for this types of operations. With Odin you will be able to flash the upgrade file from the computer (you need to have access to a Windows running computer and to the smartphone’s USB cord) to your device.
Beside this, you should also charge your Note for ensuring that it will stay alive during the whole tutorial. Then, on the PC install the proper drivers (for 32 bit Windows download link here and for 64 bit Windows download link here) and uninstall the Firewall protection (do the same on your smartphone). On your phone the USB debugging option should be enabled or else you might have problems while trying to connect the device with the computer.
As soon as you complete the up-mentioned and detailed tasks, you can head to the proper steps. Make sure you are applying them only for the Samsung Galaxy Note model number N7000. If different, you can brick your Android powered handsets.
How to Update Galaxy Note to Official Android 4.0.4 XXLRG Firmware
- You can download the XXLRG update file from here.
- Save it to your computer.
- Extract the same.
- Download Odin.
- Unzip Odin and then run it.
- Reboot your Note and enter in download mode: press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons while powering on.
- Connect the handset with the PC.
- On Odin the “added” message should be displayed.
- If not, install the drivers again.
- On Odin, click on “PDA” and choose the file extracted before.
- Up next click on “Start”.
- When the process ends the “pass” message should be displayed on Odin.
- Disconnect the device from the computer.
- Reboot it and enter in recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up and Home buttons while powering on.
- From the recovery mode menu select to perform a full wipe: “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Then select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- That’s it.
Your Samsung Galaxy Note should now run the official Android 4.0.4 XXLRG Firmware. This was the manual method for updating your Note, but if you are not sure that you can handle it, you can wait for Samsung to release the ROM on your country. Then, you will be able to OTA apply the software. Anyway, if anything bad happened while trying to complete the steps, share the issues with us so that we can help you out. Stay close and search for the root procedure as we will bring one soon.