Galaxy Note has been a great device, but as usual, when talking about technology, nothing stays at the same point too longer. So, now we have the Note 2 and soon we will also be able to buy the Galaxy Note 3. But for those who aren’t willing to change their phablets, during the following lines I will explain how to improve the performances and optimize the Android OS that runs on the Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 by updating with a custom ROM firmware – the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based Slim Bean build 7 software.
Slim Bean is a custom ROM based on other popular platforms like CM10.1, AOKP or ParanoidAndroid, so the firmware is a mixed one that brings features, apps and capabilities that cannot be found in the default version of the Android OS. Furthermore, the new release, build 7, comes with the latest version of the Android software, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. That’s why, by installing the Slim Bean custom ROM you will be able to update your Galaxy Note to custom JB 4.2.2 firmware.
Of course, since this is a custom ROM, on your Note you will be running on a custom variant of Android that has its own looks and features. Of course you will also receive the stock tools and capabilities, but besides your phablet will be installed with other programs and apps. Also, the Slim Bean software will run faster than the stock Jelly Bean OS not to mention that the battery life will be upgraded and improved. Furthermore, on a custom ROM you will have access to the internal system of your device so you will be able to remove in built programs, add new apps, perform customization and optimization operations and personalize the looks.
Slim Bean build 7 is stable and comes without bugs or reported issues. The Jelly Bean 4.2.2 powered firmware is smoothly running on the Galaxy Note N7000, so you have nothing to worry about. But for being able to flash the ROM on your Note, first you will have to take care of some things – the pre requisites:
- Backup the phablet for saving your data and personal info – the system will have to be wiped meaning that everything that’s saved on the internal storage memory will be erased.
- Root your Galaxy Note because a custom ROM is not an official update and you can install the same only if your device has an unlocked system.
- Install a custom recovery image. Replace the stock recovery with CWM recovery or with any other recovery tool because this app will be used on the update operation.
- Now, you can complete the backup task by making a Nandroid backup – save the current ROM (you can easily save / restore the current firmware if you will not like the Slim Bean platform).
- This is an unofficial update operation so the warranty of your phablet will get void. Downgrade to stock Android OS, or update with an official Jelly Bean software if you have to restore the warranty.
On the other hand you also have to ensure that: you can use a computer for downloading the firmware package; your Note and its USB cable are near you as you need to flash the ROM from the compute to your device; deactivate the security programs from your devices if you want to avoid the unpleasant situations; enable the USB debugging option if you want to connect your smartphone with the PC; charge the Galaxy Note if you want to safely complete this step by step guide.
Least but not last, the Slim Bean custom ROM has been developed and offered by those of xda-developers so we have them to thanks for the present tutorial Also, make sure to apply the next steps only for the Samsung Galaxy Note model number N7000 because the guide is compatible only with the mentioned device.
How to Update Galaxy Note N7000 with Slim Bean build 7 JB 4.2.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Use the link from here for downloading the Slim Bean JB 4.2.2 ROM.
- Then, use the link from here if you want to download the Google Apps package – you will have to install it separately as the package is not included on the Slim Bean update.
- Save the files on your computer and don’t unzip them.
- Now, connect your smartphone with the computer as you have to transfer the files.
- So, plug in the USB cable and then copy-paste the downloaded files from the computer to your phablet.
- Then, remove the cable as you need to turn off your device.
- Reboot into recovery mode: press and hold Power, Volume Up and Home buttons.
- Before flashing the update, you need to wipe the system; so choose “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- Return to the main menu of recovery.
- And from there select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the Slim Bean ROM file and install the same.
- Then, repeat the flashing operation for applying the Google Apps package.
- Done; in the end, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
In the end there are cases when the devices are getting stuck in a boot loop. If that happens with your Galaxy Note, go here and learn how to resolve the issues. For any other problems contact us and describe what went wrong – we will assist you as soon as possible.
Good job, you have successfully completed the tutorial, which means that your Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 has been updated with Slim Bean build 7 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM firmware.