Update Galaxy R with CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Custom ROM
The Samsung Galaxy R can now be updated with the latest Android system, the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 one, all thanks to the unofficial port of the CM10 platform which has been ported to the Galaxy R by those of xda-developers. Since there will no longer be official OS improvements released for this smartphone due hardware limitations, the present firmware should be just perfect for those interested in testing the new Android 4.1.2 flavor. Well, as usual, I will try to bring you the easiest way from which you can learn how to update your Galaxy R I9103 with the CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 custom ROM firmware by explaining a suitable step by step guide.
If you want to find out more about the unofficial port of the CM10 ROM that now can be installed on your Galaxy R, I recommend you to take a look over our source page by heading here. As recently reported by those who had already tried this OS, there are some bugs and things that aren’t working properly. Apparently, there are issues with the camera (it seems that the app isn’t included), the Bluetooth and with the Gyroscope. Don’t worry though, as these problems will be resolved as soon as a new version of the same update is being developed and offered.
Of course, there are also important features and capabilities included into the CM10 system that will easily improve the performances of your Galaxy R. Once the update is being flashed on your phone, you will be able to gain more speed, download apps from outside the Google Play coverage, enjoy an improved battery life, use an upgraded and custom user interface, customize the OS and a lot more. You have all the reasons for applying this operation, so let’s get started.
For easing your work I have explained the pre requisites by using the list from below. You have all the info needed there, meaning that you shouldn’t skip this part. If you do apply only the proper steps and not the preparations tasks, then you will risk in bricking your device. This is a complex operation so you must be careful; I suggest reading twice the steps before applying something on your phone.
- Backup the Galaxy R data.
- Backup the text messages by downloading SMS backup and restore tools for Android.
- Backup the call logs by downloading suitable backup and restore apps.
- Backup the contacts by syncing with Google.
- Backup EFS from your Samsung device.
- Backup the current ROM; if something bad happens you can easily restore the stock OS.
- Use a computer for saving other data, such as images or videos.
- Gain root access for your Galaxy R I9103, or else you will not be able to install the CM10 custom ROM. The warranty will get void and the only way for restoring it will be by downgrading to the stock ROM.
- Install a custom recovery image for your handset; CWM recovery should be what you need.
- Enable the USB debugging option on your device by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- You will have to use a computer or notebook; on the same and on your phone there shouldn’t be any security tools installed. So, deactivate the Firewall and antivirus protection before starting the proper steps.
- Charge the battery of your smartphone, or else it might get turned off in the middle of the operation.
- Apply this tutorial only for updating the Samsung Galaxy R model number I9103 with the CM10 ROM and not for similar devices as you can brick your handsets.
How to Update Galaxy R with CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 Custom ROM Firmware
- Download the next files on your computer.
- The update file (download link is here).
- And the Google Apps package from here.
- Make sure you get the Google apps as the package is not included into the update file, meaning that you will have to manually flash the same.
- Now, connect the phone with the computer via USB cord and then copy the downloaded files from the PC to the smartphone’s SD card.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Turn off the device and reboot in recovery mode.
- The recovery mode can be reached by pressing and holding the Volume Up key and Menu Key while pressing on the Power button.
- From recovery menu first perform a wipe.
- For the wipe select “wipe data factory reset” and then “wipe cache partition”.
- Return to the recovery menu: “+++go back+++”.
- Select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file first and install the same.
- Redo the last step for flashing the Google Apps package too.
- In the end, select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- That’s all.
Finally, you have succeeded in updating your Samsung Galaxy R with the CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.2 custom ROM firmware. Now, the latest Android OS is running on your smartphone, though you will not be enjoying the classic Android system. Anyway, just use the comments area from below if something went wrong with the update operation or for sharing your thoughts and impressions with us. You can anytime subscribe with us for receiving the latest update and Android related news.