The Galaxy R I9103, a mid-range smartphone with decent specs and performances, can now be updated with the ICS firmware, as Samsung just made available the official Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich OS for the mentioned device. So, during the present step by step guide I will show you how to manually install the ICS software, dubbed as XWLP2, on your Galaxy R but not before I’ll explain how to prepare the phone for the proper upgrade process. You have all the info needed summarized below, so don’t hesitate and take a look over the same.
The Galaxy R is not a bad device, but the Gingerbread OS, which comes pre-installed, is the first thing that has to be improved. That’s why you should consider in applying an suitable update as soon as you can; the perfect way in which you can complete this task is by installing this official Android ICS 4.0.4 ROM, the platform being available only for limited markets. Therefore if you want to manually flash the ICS software, you will have to perform the below method. The XWLP2 update comes with many features and capabilities for your phone, not to mention that the previous reported bugs and issues will be resolved and removed.
If you had previously updated your Galaxy R with a custom ROM firmware, then the warranty of your smartphone is no longer yours. Also, usually, the beta upgrades are not fully optimized, so there might be things that aren’t working or major bugs and issues into the system. That’s why, by completing this tutorial and by applying the official ICS OS, you will be able to regain the lost warranty and also re-install the factory restrictions and the classic Android platform. Therefore, maybe it will be a good idea to bookmark this page, as you might need it for the future too.
Now, this update is being provided by Samsung and it’s not the Jelly Bean one. By following this guide you will install the ICS OS on your Galaxy R, the Android 4.1 upgrade being out of the question, at least for now. Flashing an official ROM comes with several advantages, but the most important one is related to the root aspect. You don’t have to gain root access for being able to perform this operation. So, you can safely head to the steps as you don’t need to deal with risky and complex tasks that can brick your device. Furthermore, if you own a rooted smartphone, then after completing the present tutorial, the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked. If you will want to re-root the R, then you will have to follow a suitable step by step guide that can be applied for the new ICS OS.
Now after we have clarified the most relevant aspects related to an official update, you should take a look over the pre requisites from below. During the next list, you will be able to learn how to do a full and safe backup (saving your data must be completed as this is not an OTA update; you will have to manually install the ICS firmware on your Galaxy R) and also how to prepare your phone for the proper steps that will shortly follow.
- Start by saving the text messages; for that you can use suitable backup and restore tools for Android.
- Save the call logs by getting proper apps from Google Play.
- Learn how to sync with Google and backup the contacts.
- Backup the EFS.
- Use a computer or SD card for saving files like images or videos.
- Search through our how to section if you want more backup tips and tutorials.
- You need to use a computer; on the same and on your handset, uninstall the Firewall and antivirus protection (do the same for any other security program installed on your device and PC).
- On your phone enable the USB debugging option.
- Install the proper drivers for the Galaxy R on the PC.
- If on your smartphone there is less than 60% power left, go and charge the battery first.
You are almost ready for the update process. All you need to do now is to make sure that you are installing the official ICS ROM only on a Samsung Galaxy R model number I9103; if you try to complete this guide for a similar device, then you can end up in bricking it.
How to Update Galaxy R I9103 to Official Android 4.0.4 ICS XWLP2 ROM
- On your computer download Odin.
- Then, download the update file from here.
- Extract Odin and install the same.
- Extract the update file.
- On the PC open Odin.
- Turn off your handset.
- Reboot it in download mode.
- The Galaxy R can be entered in download mode by pressing and holding on the Volume Down rocker key while pressing on the Power button.
- With the phone in download mode, use its USB cord and connect the same with the computer.
- Once you do that, on Odin the ID:COM section should be yellow and the “added” message should be displayed.
- If different try to reinstall the drivers on your computer.
- Go on Odin and select “PDA”.
- Pick the update file which you have downloaded and extracted before.
- Don’t make any other changes on Odin.
- Click on “Start”.
- Wait until the installation process ends.
- When done, on Odin the “Pass” message should be displayed.
- You can now remove the USB cable.
That was all for now. Your Samsung Galaxy R has been updated to the official ICS Android 4.0.4 XWLP2 ROM. From now, there will be made available Jelly Bean based custom ROMs for your phone, so stay close as we will bring suitable guides soon. Until then, do tell us how things worked for you and how you find the new OS.