Update the Galaxy S 2 with the Official Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPQ Firmware
I have great news for all the Galaxy S 2 users as the official Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS update has been released by Samsung. So, after numerous unofficial versions of the ICS firmware we finally have something solid, this being the most stable variant compared to the ones that are already available for update. Therefore, during this guide I will show you how to get and install the official Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPQ ROM on your Galaxy S 2 smartphone. You have it all detailed below, so check it out and see if you can handle it.
It’s good to see that Samsung is moving so fast, though this upgrade is addressed more for the European users. From what we have heard, the Korean users will also get the official version of the ROM during the next few days, so stay close as we will update you with fresh info as soon as something new gets out. Also, in the coming days we will provide a step by step guide from where you can learn how to root the ICS XXLPQ powered Galaxy 2 therefore check our daily release.
Now, the present update is named XXLPQ and as I was already stated it is said to be the most stable version of the ICS OS launched so far. This means that it will run perfectly on your device, with no bugs or other inconveniences. The installation procedure is easy to understand and the best part is that it can be completed in only a couple of minutes. Just follow the steps and make sure you read all the lines in order to avoid the unpleasant situations.
Another positive aspect is referring to the fact that you don’t have to root the Galaxy S before installing the OS update. In case it is pre-rooted, after you get the Android 4.0 you must redo the operation as the root access will be lost. Anyway, some preparation tasks are still required; I have detailed them below.
But first, let’s see what you need to have near you. As usual, you need to have a Windows running computer, the phone and its USB cord. Then, you must prepare these devices so can the update process begin.
- First, you must take care of your personal info. You should backup the data and apps stored on your device. As a recommendation, in order to perform a proper and safe backup you can use a few tools available for free on the Market. Or, more easy, you can just check our guide from where you can learn how to download SMS backup and restore apps for Android.
- The phone must have at least 60% of battery power left. So, check this aspect and make sure that everithing is how it should be.
- On the handset, enable USB debugging. You can do this by following: go to “Settings- > Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”. As a note, the USB debugging can be enabled only when the device is disconnected from the PC.
That being said, you can now precede to the next section of this guide, the one that interest you the most: How to update the Galaxy S 2 with the Official Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPQ Firmware.
- The first thing to do is to download the tools needed. So, get the XXLPQ Official Update Zip Package from here and the Odin3 v1.83, from here, to the computer.
- Then, extract the files to the PC.
- Install the USB drivers to the computer.
- Open the Odin executable file.
- On the phone go to “Settings- > Wireless and Network -> USB Settings and make sure the “Samsung KIES” option is ticked.
- Turn off the phone and disconnect it from the PC.
- Reboot the device and enter in download mode. The download mode can be accessed by holding down, simultaneously, the Volume down Key and the Center button while pressing the Power Button. A green robot should be displayed meaning that you are now in download mode.
- Now, connect the Galaxy S 2 with the PC by using the USB cord. On the computer Odin must be running.
- On Odin you should see that the ID : COM section is turning yellow.
- On the Odin window you must select the “PDA” option. All the files needed are in the extracted file (from step 2).
- Then, click on “Start” to proceed.
- When the process finishes, turn off the phone and remove the battery.
- Re-enter the battery and reboot the handset by entering in the recovery mode. The recovery mode can be selected by holding, simultaneously, the Volume Down Key and the OK button while pressing the Power button.
- In the menu that opens you need to select “Wipe data/factory reset “ (this is why you need to do a backup) followed by “Wipe Cache partition” (this will erase the cache from your smartphone).
- In the end select “reboot system now”.
- That’s it.
So, that was all; as stated before, this was the easiest way in which you can learn how to install the official Android ICS 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S 2 GT I9100. In the end, share your thoughts with us and do let us know how the firmware works on your handset.