If you own the Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 smartphone and looking forward in updating its OS, then this guide should be perfect for you. By completing the below steps you will be able to get the latest Android flavor, the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 system as I will be showing you in how to easily install the Supressed custom ROM firmware on your Galaxy S Advance. I know that this is not an official software but since there are few chances to see a new ICS or Jelly Bean OTA update released for the S Advance this tutorial should be more than useful for you.
I know that the Galaxy S Advance is a mid-range device with decent specs, so even though there won’t be any official Android 4.1 updates released due to hardware limitations, you can still enjoy and use the latest features and capabilities available, all thanks to those of xda-developers who had just launched the Supressed software. By flashing the same you will install a new firmware on your Advance I9070 based on the latest Android 4.1.1 OS, though you will not get the default Android experience.
Anyway, if that doesn’t bother you that much, then you should know that once the Supressed platform is installed, your Galaxy S Advance will be customized and optimized so that you can receive more power, an upgraded battery life, improved web browsing experience, new themes and a lot more. For more details related to the present Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based ROM, you can anytime take a look over our source page by checking the link from here. If you decide to go further with this operation, then resume the guide by taking care of the next pre requisites.
- First of all, you must root the Samsung Galaxy S Advance for being able to update it to Jelly Bean OS. The Supressed custom ROM will require access to some files from the internal system of your phone and the root procedure is providing the same.
- Be aware because by rooting the warranty will get void. This is happening because you are removing the factory restriction and unchaining the operating system, so you have nothing to worry about. Anyway, try not to mess things up as if you somehow manage to brick your device, you will be by yourselves.
- Now, if you will need the warranty back, all you have to do is to downgrade or install the official Gingerbread platform on your S Advance.
- After rooting, you must get and flash a custom recovery image on your handset. This is a complex tool which will be used a little bit later, when we will apply the Android 4.1.1 Supressed ROM on your device.
- Don’t forget to backup the S Advance data because a full wipe will be required. All of your personal info will be erased, so it is more than recommended to complete a backup operation.
- If possible make a Nandroid backup too; in case you don’t like the new OS, you will be able to restore the present, or stock one.
- In order to succeed with this method you will have to use a Windows running computer, the phone and its USB cord.
- All the security programs that are running on both computer and smartphone must be deactivated before going any further.
- On your device, the USB debugging option must be enabled. For that, go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
- Also, it is a good idea to charge the Advance’s battery first. Else, it might get turned off in the middle of the installation procedure and believe (you risk in bricking the handset) me you don’t want that to happen.
- Ensure that this step by step guide is being applied only for the Samsung Galaxy S Advance, model number I9070. The Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based Supressed custom ROM will work only on the mentioned phone.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with Supressed Custom ROM Firmware
- Use the link from here and download the update file on your computer.
- Then, the USB cord and the phone and by using both connect the smartphone with the computer.
- Now, select the downloaded file and copy-paste it from the PC to the phone’s SD card.
- You can disconnect the device from the PC now.
- Turn the Advance off and reboot in recovery mode.
- Use the recovery menu and first select to perform a wipe.
- Remember to backup the data first and then select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”.
- Select “+++go back+++” and return to the recovery menu.
- From there, now select “install zip from sd card” and “choose zip from sd card”.
- Pick the update file that was downloaded before and begin the update process.
- Don’t make any other changes.
- In the end just select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now” and you are done.
If the first boot will take longer than usual, don’t panic as that is a normal thing to happen. Also, if you don’t like the new OS, then you can reboot in recovery again and restore the stock ROM (only if a Nandroid backup was previously applied). Or, you can use our tutorials for installing the official Gingerbread software on your Galaxy S Advance.
Now, that was all for today. The tutorial is over now meaning that you have successfully installed the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean based Supressed custom ROM firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 device. Test the software and then share your impressions and opinions with us and with other interested users by using the comments area from below.