As you know, the Austrian, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italian, Spain and UK users of the Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 have received the official OTA Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update, dubbed as XXLQ4. Anyway, because we are talking about an OTA release, the XXLQ4 firmware will not be made available for all the devices at the same time. So, if you haven’t received the ROM yet, or if you have a rooted Galaxy S Advance and can’t apply the OTA Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS, you might want to manually flash the update on your smartphone.
Because of that I have brought you the present step by step guide, which will take you through the manual installation of the Android 4.1.2 XXLQ4 firmware. Of course the tutorial is being suitable only with the Samsung Galaxy S Advance model number I9070, so don’t perform the same for similar handsets. Furthermore, the best part related to this procedure is that it can be used for the S Advance users that are from other countries than the ones mentioned above. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about, the tutorial being perfect for those who need to manually install the stock Jelly Bean XXLQ4 ROM.
Remember that you have to use this method only if the OTA firmware hasn’t arrived to your Galaxy S Advance, or if you have a rooted device. This is not a complex procedure, but you do have to prepare the phone for the installation procedure that will follow. Also, it is a more difficult way for flashing a ROM than the OTA, or KIES variant. Don’t worry though as you have it all explained and detailed during the following lines.
Even though we are dealing with the stock OS, before heading to the update process, you must consider in backing up the Samsung Galaxy S Advance data. Odin will be used for the flashing operation, so it is unlikely for the system to be wiped out, but you can never be too sure when it comes to your personal info. That’s why it is recommended to save at least the contacts list, internet settings, market apps, EFS folder and text messages.
Now, because we will update the Galaxy S Advance with the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLQ4 software, having a rooted device isn’t required. Furthermore, if you do have a rooted phone, after applying the below steps the root access will be revoked and the bootloader relocked. So, if your smartphone is currently running on a custom ROM, or if you want to restore the warranty (the same can be voided by rooting, unlocking the bootloader and so on) now you will be able to do so, completing this step by step guide being what you need to perform.
Then, since Odin must be used, you need to have access to a Windows running computer where you will download and also install the mentioned app. On the same computer you will get the update file, so the S Advance and its USB cord should also be near you. For avoiding the unpleasant situations, I recommend you to first deactivate the security tools and settings that are being installed and running on the computer and smartphone; usually these programs are interfering with Odin. Up next, check the battery status on your handset and if you notice that there is less than 60% power left charge your phone before starting the update operation. Finally enable the USB debugging option on your device by going to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging”.
Don’t forget that this tutorial can be applied for all the Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 smartphones (the markets doesn’t matter); just don’t use the guide for flashing the official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLQ4 ROM on similar devices as you can end up in bricking the same.
How to Update Galaxy S Advance I9070 to Official Jelly Bean 4.1.2 XXLQ4 OS
- On the computer first of all, download Samsung KIES and install the proper drivers for your phone.
- Then, download and install Odin.
- Use the link from here and download the update file; then extract the same on your computer.
- On the PC open Odin.
- Turn off the device and reboot into download mode.
- The Galaxy S Advance can be entered into download mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down, OK and Power buttons at the same time.
- Now, use the USB cable and connect the handset with the computer.
- Once you do that, on Odin the “added” message must be displayed and the ID:COM section should be yellow or blue.
- If different, re-install the drivers and repeat the above mentioned steps.
- If everything is working perfect, from Odin select PDA and pick the update file.
- Click on “start” and begin the flashing operation.
- In the end, on Odin the “pass” message will be displayed meaning that you can unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone.
Now, in case you notice that the first boot is taking longer than you was used too, don’t panic, there is nothing wrong with your device. It is a normal fact, but if you do get a loop boot, then here is what you need to do:
- Turn off the device (force restart) or just reboot into recovery mode.
- You can enter the recovery mode by pressing on Volume Up, OK and Power buttons together.
- From the recovery mode wipe the system.
- For the wipe select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
Now, your Samsung Galaxy S Advance has been successfully updated with the official and stock Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean XXLQ4 OS. Tell us how things worked while using Odin for applying the ROM and do share the possible issues or problems by using the comments area from below. Also, check our latest guides for learning how to root the Galaxy S Advance on XXLQ4 firmware. That’s all for now, but stay close for further guides, tricks, tips and Android related news.